Poll : keyboard

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.

Poll : keyboard

Postby barijaona » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Here are a few of Vienna's current keyboard shortcuts :
- n : go to next unread article
- k : mark all articles of a folder as read
- s : mark all articles of a folder as read, and skip to the next unread folder
- r or u : switch an article between unread/read state
- m : switch an article between unread/read state

This differs from keyboard shortcuts for Google Reader's web interface :
- j : go to next article
- k or p : go to previous article

Obviously, there is a conflict with the 'k' key. Previous article on one side, mark all read on the other side…

The "best" solution would be to allow keyboard customization. Probably not an easy task.

I have no idea what other popular software use.
So I have to ask the audience : do current Vienna users mind if we change the role of the 'k' key ? And what other changes should be done ?
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report
barijaona
Vienna Team

Re: Poll : keyboard

Postby broomdodger » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:32 pm

barijaona wrote:Here are a few of Vienna's current keyboard shortcuts:
This differs from keyboard shortcuts for Google Reader's web interface :
- j : go to next article
- k or p : go to previous article
So I have to ask the audience : do current Vienna users mind if we change the role of the 'k' key ?
The j next and k previous are like vim commands and are on the home row.
Being a vim user I vote for the change.
Bill
broomdodger
Harmless

Postby aperantos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:57 am

PLEASE!

I use Janeter as my Twitter client and like Vim it too uses H J K and L keys for navigation. As a result I frequently accidentally pressed K to go to the next article in Vienna only to mark everything read.

Of course you can use the arrow keys too in Janeter, but the position of them on a MacBook is not comfortable for repeated use when looking down a long list. The same can be said too for Vienna.

Allowing the keyboard shortcuts to be customizable, or even just an alternative Google Reader compatible option, would to me be the best improvement that could be made.
aperantos
Harmless

Postby oxygen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:08 am

yes please remapping the 'k' would fix my issues too...

being a news junk, the 'k' button was not often used anyway :grin:
oxygen
Harmless

Postby David Munch » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:21 am

I'm totally used to the k-button, but since it doesn't make sense to have k for that command, I dont mind it changed to another one.

'a' for "all read"?
For Adium issues: Please search the forums and the Trac before posting. This makes the developers very happy! :smt058
Also, check out the Adium wiki, the Adium Team has tried to answer all the questions that might crop up when using Adium there. =)
David Munch
Grandé

Postby sandstrom » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:42 am

'k' is already hardcoded in my muscle memory. If you change it, I won't be angry! I'll just customise it if needed (see below).

barijaona wrote:The "best" solution would be to allow keyboard customization. Probably not an easy task.

Apple did the job for you already: System Preferences > Keyboard Pane > Keyboard Shortcuts. Works perfectly fine with Vienna, so why duplicate the effort?
sandstrom
Muffin

Postby aperantos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:00 am

sandstrom wrote:Apple did the job for you already: System Preferences > Keyboard Pane > Keyboard Shortcuts. Works perfectly fine with Vienna, so why duplicate the effort?

Maybe I am missing something, but Keyboard Shortcuts does not allow you to assign one to individual keys, only when used with modifiers. Which is understandable as it would not know whether you are using a shortcut or typing.

I also do not see a menu entry for going to the next article that could be reassigned to the K key even if it were possible.
aperantos
Harmless

Postby AllanMarcus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:54 am

Damn! I didn't know you could press k to mark all as read! AWESOME! I was using command-shift-k, which sucked.

How about "m", for "mark"?

Otherwise, I don't case; I just love that there is an unmodified key to press. Again, awesome.
AllanMarcus
Harmless

Postby dkbarto » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm against changing the 'n' or 'm' keys to anything else. I use those too often to allow them to not be 'next' and 'mark'

Most of the others I don't care about.

Though I suppose Cmd-R (refresh subscriptions) is something I use once in a while.
dkbarto
Harmless

Postby sandstrom » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:45 am

aperantos wrote:
sandstrom wrote:Apple did the job for you already: System Preferences > Keyboard Pane > Keyboard Shortcuts. Works perfectly fine with Vienna, so why duplicate the effort?

Maybe I am missing something, but Keyboard Shortcuts does not allow you to assign one to individual keys

Hmm, you right. Having never used G. Reader, I tend to forget that one can mark a group of feeds as 'read' with a single key ('k'). Doing that kind of actions is my fingers are hard-coded to use the CMD modifier key.
sandstrom
Muffin

Postby pukku » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:20 am

I don't mind if K switches, but it would be nice to allow remapping (although I know this is hard). In my case, I use a different keyboard layout, and have also used Keyboard Maestro, so that I have four keys next to each other that I can use to mark all read and go to the next folder, mark the current article read and go to the next article, go to the next article, and go to the next folder without marking all read.

Actually, if I can sneak a feature request in here, it would be to make that last command a proper one -- I have it mapped as "left arrow, down arrow, space", but it doesn't always work...
pukku
Harmless

Postby CyberSkull » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:48 am

I really don't care what the shortcut keys are, as long as they are all mapped to the command key. The default behavior in many Mac OS X programs is that when in a list I can start typing and it will jump to what matches my typing. I can't do this in Vienna for fear of stumbling across an undocumented modifier-less keyboard shortcut. Keyboard shortcuts should always use a modifier key.

So I would rather see things like ⌘K instead of just plain 'k'.
Sincerely,
Your Dread Lord
Un-Certified Looney, Heretic @ Large, etc…
CyberSkull
Harmless

Postby barkmaker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:39 am

barkmaker
Harmless

Postby marrie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:41 am

I don't know what the dashes mean, but I like what I"m seeing so far. I can though adapt. Maybe a key board custom shortcuts dialogue in the prefs of vienna would work though for those that want to customise the shortcuts.
marrie
Harmless

Postby ssd » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Adium short cuts I use heavily:
r m command-U

If you move them, I'll adapt. If you remove them, I'll be annoyed.

I wish there was a short cut to change sort order between date and subject order,
but because there is a "columns" menu with the same headings as the "sort by" menu, I can't even use Apple's built in key binding system to change it!
ssd
Harmless

Postby aperantos » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:37 pm

ssd wrote:I wish there was a short cut to change sort order between date and subject order,
but because there is a "columns" menu with the same headings as the "sort by" menu, I can't even use Apple's built in key binding system to change it!

If you use Mountain Lion you can add shortcuts to specific submenus by entering them as:

View->Sort By->Author
View->Sort By->Date

I have just verified they do work in Vienna. In Lion, although I have not tested it, I believe you can specify submenus in the form:

>View>Sort By>Author
>View>Sort By>Date
aperantos
Harmless

Postby ssd » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Oh well, neither method works for Snow Leopard, so as long as those menus are in that order with identical entries without built in bindings, I'm stuck.
ssd
Harmless

Postby kenny66 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 pm

My vote is, I don't care if you change the 'k' key. But I like to have a key that marks all folder's articles as read, which doesn't require a modifier. As long as there is such key, I'm happy. If you change 'k' to something else, I will adapt. Thank you
kenny66
Harmless

Postby alanning » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:54 pm

+1 to change 'k' to match Vim/Google Reader
alanning
Harmless

Postby barkmaker » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:10 am

Please stick to Apple conventional application operation and make all shortcuts work with a modifier key. There's a reason most of us like Apple and it's because we don't have to figure out a completely different way of doing things between applications. It's also nice to be able to type the first few letters to jump to a listing, rather than have what you type, evoke some sort of command.
barkmaker
Harmless

Next

Return to Vienna