Cyberduck Changing My Permissions?

The Cyberduck forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
nicoleglynn
Harmless

Cyberduck Changing My Permissions?

Postby nicoleglynn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:45 pm

Whenever I upload a file using cyberduck, the file's permissions are changed to 777, which causes my site to break (they need to be 644). Having to manually change this every single time I make even the tiniest change is driving me nuts. Is there a setting somewhere I need to tweak or something? If there is, i can't find it.

note, it's not a problem with the permissions on the file on my machine. This problem doesn't occur when I use another ftp program, only with cyberduck.

woolynet
Harmless

Re: Cyberduck Changing My Permissions?

Postby woolynet » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 am

Hi Nicole

Sorry, but I don't really have an explanation for your question, but thought I'd post an answer because not many people seems to get answers on their posts (including mine :rolleyes: ) so I thought this would make a nice change....

I've just posted a subject about permissions as I changed my permissions to secure my website files, but crashed the site - mainly because I didn't know really what I was doing and it was trial and error, but more error... :'(

I've got my site back, but was asking what permissions to actually give me site when I saw your thread - I wondered what the heck 777 and 644 meant, but thanks to you, I now know - after seeing those numbers coming up when I change the tick boxes on the permission panel - thank you, thank you...

I see you have opted for 644 for your site - I'm going to try that setting and see what happens to my test site. But you are saying that as soon as you make a change to your site and uploaded it using cyberduck, it changes the permissions to 777?

I usually use the uploaded from Dreamweaver, but have found that dumping folders using cyberduck is sometimes quicker....

Sorry for my ramblings, but I think your post answered a few of my questions which probably won't get answered in my post...

Cheers. W

ps - I've just done some more tests and found that 755 is the only setting that allows my website to work properly - 644 crashes it...?

nicoleglynn
Harmless

Postby nicoleglynn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:47 pm

644 is what the files were set to by default when I originally uploaded them, and yes, as far as I can tell cyberduck is what is changing them to 777, which breaks my site.

Glad I could be of (indirect) help to you. :)

dkocher
Cyberduck Team

Postby dkocher » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:10 am

By default, permissions are changed after an upload to the permissions you gave to the file on your local machine (in the Info window in Finder.app). For example if the file in Finder.app has no Read Only flag for everyone it will have no read rights for Others after uploaded to your webserver. Most probably the webserver will then not be able to read and serve the file requested. Check the settings in Cyberduck as per http://trac.cyberduck.ch/wiki/help/en/howto/upload#Permissions. You can disable the setting of permissions or use a default setting not depending on the permissions set locally.

nicoleglynn
Harmless

Postby nicoleglynn » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks dkocher, I'll try that.

Return to “Cyberduck”