Amazon S3 and folders

The Cyberduck forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
jedfoster
Harmless

Amazon S3 and folders

Postby jedfoster » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:24 am

First I'm running v3.1 (4448) on a 2.33 GHz C2D MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.5.5.

I'm trying to download a directory of files that I posted to my S3 account with Cyberduck. I understand that S3 doesn't actually support directories, but I figured that Cyberduck would gather a list of objects based on the "directory" name, pretty much the same as when you double-click a "directory."

When I drag a directory to my desktop, all I get is an empty folder with the name of the directory. When I click Cyberduck's Download button, I get a folder with the name of the directory, but I can't open it because it's permissions are set to write only.

Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong? This is a serious shortcoming; restoring archived files becomes a very tedious task.

While I'm at it, how can I get Cyberduck to automatically calculate the size of the "directories" in my S3 bucket? And why does synchronizing a bucket upload ALL the files, even ones that haven't changed?

Cyberduck is about 85% of what I think an S3 client should be, congratulations on getting it this far. It's just that last little bit that's the hardest.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jed

dkocher
Cyberduck Team

Re: Amazon S3 and folders

Postby dkocher » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:01 pm

jedfoster wrote:First I'm running v3.1 (4448) on a 2.33 GHz C2D MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.5.5.
When I drag a directory to my desktop, all I get is an empty folder with the name of the directory. When I click Cyberduck's Download button, I get a folder with the name of the directory, but I can't open it because it's permissions are set to write only.

Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong? This is a serious shortcoming; restoring archived files becomes a very tedious task.

I just fixed this in r4458. This is only available as a nightly build.

jedfoster wrote:While I'm at it, how can I get Cyberduck to automatically calculate the size of the "directories" in my S3 bucket?

Use File > Info > Calculate Size.

jedfoster wrote:And why does synchronizing a bucket upload ALL the files, even ones that haven't changed?

I have yet to look into this.

jedfoster
Harmless

Postby jedfoster » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:55 pm

I just fixed this in r4458. This is only available as a nightly build.

I'm downloading r4463. I'll try that out. Thanks.

Use File > Info > Calculate Size.

I found that feature but it seems to be a one time sort of thing; only good for one session. I would like to always see the calculated size of my directories, is there any way to make that happen?

jedfoster
Harmless

Postby jedfoster » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:06 pm

Just a follow up on the downloading thing. I tried r4463, and now dragging a directory to my desktop does indeed download all the objects in that directory. Very nice!

However, the Download button still sets the downloaded directory's permissions to write only, though the directory does contain all its objects, same as dragging.

Return to “Cyberduck”