Why has this application always crashed?

The Cyberduck forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
djmccormick
Harmless

Why has this application always crashed?

Postby djmccormick » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:16 pm

I've tried hard to use Cyberduck. I'd say I've put forth more than a reasonable amount of effort to use this application. Whether at home or work, though, this application frequently crashes. This is unacceptable especially when editing files in an external editor. Due to this issue I've had to exclusively use Transmit for months now. I'd much rather have given that $30 to the developers of Cyberduck as I enjoy the program much more than Transmit. I have the feeling that many others agree.

I think it's interesting that in the ticket for arbitrary crashes people are asking how to reproduce, etc. Anyone asking that question clearly hasn't used Cyberduck. It occurs for me both at work and home, on different connection types, etc. It's a fundamental problem in the program, not something you have to labor to reproduce.

Anonymous wrote:The workflow is usual: connection to server, clicking through directories, editing file, changes in editor, saving of file, idle time, more changes, more idle time, then suddenly when I click back to cyberduck (activate the window) from browser or editor comes crash.

This was posted five months ago and there is still no resolution. Is there any explanation for your user base? Should we give up on Cyberduck? The application as-is is completely unusable.

I hate to even complain in this way about an open source application. Let me clarify that I'm in appreciation for the developers even having created this application. I just think there is some obligation to the users to at least let us know the outlook.

snyderman
Harmless

Re: Why has this application always crashed?

Postby snyderman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:55 am

I have the same problem. Upload my website, wait, almost done then suddenly, the mystererious "Upload failed" with no explanations. Its like trying to stick your head through a plate glass window. On the 3rd or 4th try, you might do it. Same with Cyberduck. On the 5 or 6th time, it might upload the files.

Any idea what is going on?

dkocher
Cyberduck Team

Postby dkocher » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:48 pm

The issue should be fixed as of revision 4191. Try the latest nightly build from http://update.cyberduck.ch/nightly/.

xurizaemon
Harmless

Postby xurizaemon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:00 am

snyderman wrote:Its like trying to stick your head through a plate glass window. On the 3rd or 4th try, you might do it.

This is hilarious ... FWIW, I succeeded at this task on the first attempt, when I was four years old. It helped that I was skipping at the time, so I had good momentum.

I don't understand why one would try repeatedly to achieve that, though.

Still, if you have the urge, getting a run-up really helps.

xurizaemon
Harmless

Postby xurizaemon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:10 am

djmccormick wrote:I think it's interesting that in the ticket for arbitrary crashes people are asking how to reproduce, etc. Anyone asking that question clearly hasn't used Cyberduck. It occurs for me both at work and home, on different connection types, etc. It's a fundamental problem in the program, not something you have to labor to reproduce.

I'd argue from the opposite angle: any bug that was so pervasive wouldn't be tolerated by any sane developer. Therefore, while I agree 100% that this bug happens ALL THE TIME for me, I would assume that it's something specific to my setup (eg SFTP configurations, my .ssh/config, etc etc), and it's something which the developer, and probably the majority of Cyberduck users, aren't experiencing.

The fact that it affects both your home and work machines doesn't imply it affects 100% of users. There are some elements of your setup (and mine) which are specific to our situations, including our preferred editors, our SSH configurations, the machines we connect to and SSL libraries favoured by the OS vendor, even the rate at which you and I type or switch back and forth between applications.

If it had affected everyone universally, then this bug would be long gone.

It's frustrating for us both, obviously. It has also given me good pause to consider the bookmarks system in Cyberduck, because each time I open it I mentally calculate the effort of changing the bookmark default directory versus ( probability of Cyberduck crashing * effort in CWD to correct dir each time ). But logic tells me it can't be affecting everyone.

FWIW, I switched to Fugu for a few days. SAME BEHAVIOUR. This made me think perhaps it was my SSH config ... but my SSH sessions don't misbehave in the same way.

I am looking forward to testing r4191 when the server comes back up :)

dkocher
Cyberduck Team

Postby dkocher » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Return to “Cyberduck”