I miss the drawer

The Cyberduck forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
dkocher
Cyberduck Team

Re: I miss the drawer

Postby dkocher » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:33 am

stwb wrote:
stwb wrote:
How about integrating an "add bookmark" option into the contextual menus?

For instance: highlighting a folder, right-click and selecting "add bookmark" from the pop-up menu brings up the bookmark edit window for said folder..... Viola, Job Done !! :smile: :smile:

This feature has now been added to the most recent nightly build (as 'new bookmark'), many thanks that man! :goodjob:

Also, a toolbar item is available to add a new bookmark for the currently mounted server.

jabohn
Muffin

Postby jabohn » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:36 pm

Version 3.0.2 is out, still no bookmark drawer, back to 2.8.5!

stwb
Harmless

Postby stwb » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:31 am

Why do you need a drawer anymore?
Anything you Bookmark is available from either the Bookmarks button or appears in the Quick Connect pull down list. A drawer would just take up screen space.

jabohn
Muffin

Postby jabohn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:53 pm

If you read the posts in this thread you will see why many have requested it's return.
There was also a second thread on the subject.

rubah
Harmless

Postby rubah » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:21 pm

That we do want it is more important than why we want it. (fewer clicks when working between different servers is my reason) When you don't deliver a product that does what your userbase wants, then they don't use it, so there are probably more than just me and jabohn still using 2.8.5 :) (although 3 not overwriting files right is a bigger reason why I haven't used it)

brandonjp
Harmless

Postby brandonjp » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:40 pm

Just want to give my plug for the drawer/sidebar as well. I, too, miss it very much. Not only was it fewer clicks, but having my bookmarks list always visible was a handy reference for domain names and usernames of sites I'm working on.

I understand the argument of 'unified interface' and such, but the 'Log Drawer' is still a drawer (and it's definitely not unified...shoots of the bottom of my screen). In this case, it comes down to unified versus simplified; and the drawer seemed much simpler.

Bring it back.

jabohn
Muffin

Postby jabohn » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:42 am

Version 3.0.3 downloaded, still no bookmark drawer.
Off to the trash it goes... back to 2.x!

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:31 pm

rubah wrote:That we do want it is more important than why we want it.

I'd disagree with this. If someone say wanted to have the UI to have cow spots on it, wouldn't you want to know why before you went through the trouble of implementing it? Understanding the reason why something needs to be done is probably more important than just the want expressed in my opinion.

jabohn
Muffin

Postby jabohn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:51 am

I hate to sound like a broken record...
I still miss the drawer. It is a big time saver at work.
Downloaded 3.1, no drawer, deleted 3.1, back to 2.x
I miss the drawer.

Crypt
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Crypt » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:36 am

jabohn wrote:I hate to sound like a broken record...
I still miss the drawer. It is a big time saver at work.
Downloaded 3.1, no drawer, deleted 3.1, back to 2.x
I miss the drawer.

You should get used to not having it, because I don't think it will be coming back. The drawer is considered to be outdated for the most part. Most applications that used it have gotten rid of it or resorted to using a sidebar. The only place where I commonly find drawers are for network or application logging.
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"
- Bender

adiumx DOT com MOTHA F**KA!

jabohn
Muffin

Postby jabohn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:09 am

A sidebar would do.

Jooosh
Harmless

Postby Jooosh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:11 pm

I'm one who misses the drawer as well. Being a developer, I also understand a change to an interface will have its critics and advocates. In this case though, why not allow for both options? Move forward with the unified interface, but also allow for the drawer option.

stwb
Harmless

Postby stwb » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:11 am

Don't get me wrong, I liked the drawer. But, due to the way we work in our studio we had to open and close it everytime as it obstructed other windows.

So personally I now see the Quick Connect pull-down as a more conservative and less time consuming option:

OPEN DRAWER> CLICK BOOKMARK> YOUR THERE> CLOSE DRAWER.

or

QUICK CONNECT MENU (BOOKMARK)> YOUR THERE.

Along the same lines, we have to open and close the transfers window, everytime, to see the progress of a file.

It would be good if this could be a transfer-in-progress bar at the bottom of the main window and when needed a pop-down drawer that displays all the info and options the present tranfers window has.

veramilo
Harmless

Postby veramilo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 am

Even after months of using the newer version, I still miss the convenience of a drawer or sidebar and can't seem to get used to being without it. But it's obvious there are some users who like it this way just fine and other who are even glad to see it gone. Yet this is one of those situations where everyone can be happy...

What if the only change to the interface was that instead of toggling between bookmarks (history, etc.) and the FTP view, the bookmarks button slid a bookmarks pane to a default width each user would choose for themselves ? It would be like the iTunes playlist many have already used as an example except that you could also fully close it. If you set your bookmarks to fully closed, toggling them open to click a bookmark would also automatically toggle to FTP view. This doesn't even have to be a separate preference setting and the over all UI would be basically the same as it is now. Furthermore, there would be no additional clicking than there is now for those who like having no sidebar, but those of us who like the full-picture view that the drawer gave us would get an equally good (if not better) replacement and reduced clicks again.

I think this way everybody can be happy...... well, except the people who just want the other side to be miserable.

=-)

jabohn
Muffin

Postby jabohn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

A pane, similar to iTunes, would be welcome.
I just don't want to have to click to get to my bookmarks and have both visible at the same time.

jove4015
Harmless

Postby jove4015 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:56 pm

I have to add to this clamor of voices who want the drawer back.

I had been using a rather old version (I think 3.2 something) on my home computer for a long time now, and still had the drawer until today I thought well why not, let's just upgrade and be done with it. I've noticed the drawer missing on coworkers computers before but figured they must have hit some configuration option or something, not realizing it was a design change you guys made permanently.

The drawer was *much* better. I have to toggle between servers all the time, the new way takes much more effort. Say what you want about clean interface design, you also want good interface design, and those two things aren't always necessarily the same. In this case, if you ask me, whatever the problems were with the drawer, they were worth overcoming. This is just not as good... it's inconvenient at best.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I actually paid for my company to have Fetch, and they all went out and downloaded Cyberduck anyway, because they love it so much, and honestly, I do too - I'm a big convert. Nothing beats that refresh button in the transfers window - it's like manna from heaven. I just think you had a great feature there, and I hate to see it go. Can't we make this something we toggle on and off in the preferences?? Can we eat our cake and have it too please?

jove4015
Harmless

Postby jove4015 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:59 pm

And one more thing - when you bring back the drawer, can you make the bookmarks spring-loaded, so you can hover over a server, have that server load into the window, and then drop files from one server to another with one drag-drop operation? That'd be *hot*.

jabohn
Muffin

Postby jabohn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:34 pm

Good to see 3.2 out, but still no drawer/sidebar whatever.
Still sticking with 2.x

Stokestack
Harmless

drawers are half-assed

Postby Stokestack » Fri May 01, 2009 6:19 am

Drawers are usually a lazy workaround to some fundamental UI issue that should've been solved with a proper design.

jabohn
Muffin

Postby jabohn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Still no drawer?

Return to “Cyberduck”