GrowlSafari uses installer package for just an app package

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
gaelicWizard
Harmless

GrowlSafari uses installer package for just an app package

Postby gaelicWizard » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:59 pm

I'm not sure where to file bugs. I couldn't find anything on growl.info telling me where to file a bug.

The bug I'd like to file is that GrowlSafari is distributed as a package when the package just installs a single application with no files anywhere else. It should be distributed as just the application package itself, or perhaps just rolled into the Growl package itself.

Thanks,
JP

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: GrowlSafari uses installer package for just an app package

Postby boredzo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:24 pm

gaelicWizard wrote:I'm not sure where to file bugs. I couldn't find anything on growl.info telling me where to file a bug.

http://growl.info/reportabug.php

You can get there from the About tab of the Growl preference pane.

The bug I'd like to file is that GrowlSafari is distributed as a package when the package just installs a single application with no files anywhere else.

That's not a bug. GrowlSafari needs to have certain special permissions in order to work (specifically, the injector tool, GrowlSafariHelper needs to be owned by the procmod group and have the set-group-ID permission). The package is necessary to do this; a drag-and-drop install would lose these permissions on the copy.

You can see that GrowlTunes and HardwareGrowler are drag-and-drop installs. You can tell from that that we wouldn't have put GrowlSafari in an Installer package if we didn't have to.

Return to “Growl”