Howl - A New Growl App for iPhone

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
jonhohle
Harmless

Howl - A New Growl App for iPhone

Postby jonhohle » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:50 am

Hey everyone. I'm the author of a new Growl app for iPhone called Howl that was recently added to the App Store.

Howl is great for getting notifications pushed to your phone, but its also a great way to review, filter, and manage all of the notifications you get throughout the day. Each notification is easy to spot because it comes with its original icon. You can quickly see the notifications from a particular application, date, or computer; or see the full stream in chronological order. Because your notifications are stored on your phone, viewing them is fast and you see all of your stored notifications instantly. And data detection means you can open any links in Safari or create a new email right from a notification's detail view.

Some applications are "noisy", so Howl can be easily configured to suppress notifications from certain programs (or even particular messages from a program), only send notifications during certain hours, or only send notifications when your iPhone is disconnected or you not working at your computer. With Howl you're in control of what type of messages are displayed and when you'll get them.

Howl works great with Leopard and Snow Leopard with Growl 1.1.6 and I'm tracking Growl 1.2 to ensure a smooth transition.

More information can be found at http://howlapp.com/.

I'll PM a promo code to the first reply that describes how they plan on using Howl.

snowleopard
Harmless

Re: Howl - A New Growl App for iPhone

Postby snowleopard » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:46 am

Hi,

Will use it for Nagios notifications..

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:49 pm

I guess you know what they say about imitation and flattery, but did you have to copy Prowl's prefpane so exactly?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:57 pm

I plan on using Howl to call the police and let them know you stole a design. Send me my code!

If you hadn't just plain ripped the prefpane from Prowl I'd think this is a good thing, but meh.

jonhohle
Harmless

Postby jonhohle » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:01 pm

zac wrote:I guess you know what they say about imitation and flattery, but did you have to copy Prowl's prefpane so exactly?

Oh wow, that's not exactly what I expected. I hope that was a polite jab. Though similar, I had no intention of copying Prowl's preference pane. The Howl preference pane is pretty standard and basic, offering the functionality you'd expect from an application in this domain.

Actually, when Prowl was released, I was several weeks into development and nearly scrapped the project. While providing similar utility, Howl takes a pretty different approach on the iPhone, though, and I thought there is some value to that.

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:29 pm

The similarities are obvious, to the point that it alarmed me at first, but if you hold up the two prefpanes next to each other, there are plenty of differences, too—in features, in layout, and in wording.

I'm not so sure this is a rip-off.

Zetetic
Harmless

Postby Zetetic » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Christ, get over yourselves Prowl devs. It's not like the Pref layout is a work of art. (Furthermore it seems obscene to claim that Howl's is a direct copy of Prowl's.)

Return to “Growl”