Script to tell me when screensaver is deactivated

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
siechotic
Harmless

Script to tell me when screensaver is deactivated

Postby siechotic » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:24 pm

I would like to be able to tell when another member of my family goes onto this mac.

Is it possible to have a script that could be used to enable growl notification when the screen saver is deactivated.

I use Prowl to get the Growl notifications sent to my iPhone when I am not at home.

I have tried editing scripts but all to no avail, could somebody please help??

This is not for a security issue, I know I could enable screen saver password/or even log off. All memebers of my family use this mac for emails. I would just like to know when they are using it when I'm not home. Just for curiosity mainly! :winkywink:

Thank you

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Script to tell me when screensaver is deactivated

Postby boredzo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:54 am

Write a script that posts a notification unconditionally, then put that script into the login items on each family member's account. Then, instead of activating the screen saver, open the login window (an option in the Fast User Switch menu) or log out.

If you don't all have your own accounts, you should. It makes managing multiple users on one Mac much, much easier. Doing it any other way is making work for yourself.

siechotic
Harmless

Re: Script to tell me when screensaver is deactivated

Postby siechotic » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:07 am

Thank you for your fast reply. :smile:

We all have our email accounts in Mail, nobody apart from me, uses this mac for anything other than emails so multiple accounts would be a waste.

It is the script writing I am having problems with, my knowledge of applescript is very very poor. I was hoping some kind soul could help me with the writing of such a script that would notify me via Growl/Prowl when the screensaver is deactivated.

All help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Return to “Growl”