GrowlMail not working

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
autumnmist
Latté

Re: GrowlMail not working

Postby autumnmist » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:32 pm

boredzo wrote:
autumnmist wrote:

Code: Select all

7/6/09 11:13 AM Mail[8735] *** +[GrowlMail didFinishNotificationForMessage:]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x500072e0

We stopped sending that message to that class with 1.1.5. GrowlMail 1.1.4 was the last version to do it. (I'm not counting betas; there might have been a beta somewhere in there that still did it.)

Ok, so I checked but I only had one copy, but it's possible I had two copies before (I think the uninstall procedure I went through probably got rid of them).

In any case, as of now notifications are working fine. I think the bug with the installer might have led me to accidentally install one copy in all users and one copy in my user folder or some combination of that not overwriting Growl 1.1.4 in one of the two locations.

Schmye Bubbula
Harmless

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:12 pm

When I run the Terminal commands, sometimes - but not always - the GrowlMail 1.1.5 notifications return, but they always disappear soon afterward. In any event, I always get the audio notification upon receipt of mail, but not the dialog notification. (And I double-checked: I don't have duplicate installations.)

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:52 am

Schmye Bubbula wrote:When I run the Terminal commands, sometimes - but not always - the GrowlMail 1.1.5 notifications return, but they always disappear soon afterward.

That's what m-rick reported above. I can't reproduce it, though—GrowlMail works fine for me.

Until somebody comes up with either 100%-reliable steps to reproduce or a patch, this problem is going nowhere.

Schmye Bubbula
Harmless

Postby Schmye Bubbula » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:57 am

boredzo wrote:Until somebody comes up with either 100%-reliable steps to reproduce or a patch, this problem is going nowhere.

Is boredzo the developer? I'm not a programmer, but it seems to me that things are too intermittent to come up with "100%-reliable steps to reproduce" the problem. I don't know how to create a "patch," and unless I'm misunderstanding something (apologies in advance if I am), I would think that only the developer has the intimate knowledge of the program necessary to be able to patch it. Can't the developer do a little detective work? We know the problems occur both in Tiger and Leopard. What code changed between v1.1.4, which worked flawlessly, and v1.1.5? Wouldn't those changes be the place to look for a clue or inspiration? Sorry if I'm posing stupid or obvious questions; I guess I'm just impatient to get this thing working again - it's sorely missed.... In any event, I am grateful to the developer for his selfless and wonderful contributions to the Mac community! I will be happy to work closely with the developer and beta-test any interim versions to help expedite a solution. Thanks again!

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:26 pm

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
boredzo wrote:Until somebody comes up with either 100%-reliable steps to reproduce or a patch, this problem is going nowhere.

Is boredzo the developer?

You could just address me directly. ;)

I'm the Lead Developer. We have other developers, but not very many, which is why our pace of development is so slow right now. I'm also the one who rewrote most of GrowlMail a few versions back.

I'm not a programmer, but it seems to me that things are too intermittent to come up with "100%-reliable steps to reproduce" the problem.

It happens 100% of the time for you, doesn't it? It works once, then fails thereafter, every time. What we need are instructions on how to make that happen.

Right now, the only instructions we have are “install GrowlMail” and “run the defaults commands [which are part of the installer]”, and neither one of those causes the problem for us, so we need to know what's different.

I don't know how to create a "patch," and unless I'm misunderstanding something (apologies in advance if I am), I would think that only the developer has the intimate knowledge of the program necessary to be able to patch it.

Growl is open-source. Anyone can download our source code, and any programmer should be able to read the GrowlMail source and to change it to include a fix. That change, exported to a file, is a patch.

Can't the developer do a little detective work?

Your suggestions?

I use GrowlMail myself. I have installed it many times, especially in working on the GrowlMail installer for 1.1.6. It still works. There's not much I can do besides try it on my own system, so if you want me to be able to help at all, you're going to have to suggest something to try.

The only other thing I can do is ask this question: Do you have any other Mail bundles installed? Check both Home/Library/Mail/Bundles and [your startup disk]/Library/Mail/Bundles.

We know the problems occur both in Tiger and Leopard. What code changed between v1.1.4, which worked flawlessly, and v1.1.5?

http://growl.info/documentation/version_history.php

But remember, 1.1.5 works flawlessly (for us), too. We can back out commits all day and it won't do a bit of good if we can't reproduce the problem, because we wouldn't be able to tell which one had been causing it. Moreover, if the problem is something reverting Mail's Preferences (as it seems), then it really doesn't matter whether you use 1.1.4 or 1.1.5.

So there are only three ways this is getting fixed:

1. Somebody who can reproduce it tells us how to reproduce it.
2. Somebody who can reproduce it fixes it and sends us the patch.
3. Somebody who can reproduce it goes through the history, one commit at a time, to find the problem commit.

I'm not holding up 1.1.6 unless one of those happens. And anyone who starts on #2 or #3 should post here first, so I don't end up shipping 1.1.6 while they're working.

MarkAllan
Harmless

Postby MarkAllan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:51 pm

GrowlMail has never worked reliably for me under 10.5. To make it work, I have to quit Mail and then from the Growl menu bar item stop Growl, then start Growl again from the same menu item, and then launch Mail again. Only then will notifications show up correctly.
ClamXav - the free anti-virus checker for Mac OS X.

m-rick
Harmless

Postby m-rick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:54 pm

Schmye Bubbula wrote:When I run the Terminal commands, sometimes - but not always - the GrowlMail 1.1.5 notifications return, but they always disappear soon afterward. In any event, I always get the audio notification upon receipt of mail, but not the dialog notification. (And I double-checked: I don't have duplicate installations.)

Exactly the same for me even with the last update.

Personnaly i use also GPGMail bundle (version 1.1.2)

When i start the computer
2009-07-31 16:13:47.409 System Preferences[464] Could not connect the action openGrowlTrac: to target of class GrowlPreferencePane

I get this in the console when i launch Mail
2009-07-31 16:15:27.801 Mail[475] FlagIt Installed
2009-07-31 16:15:29.901 Mail[475] Loaded GPGMail 1.1.2 (Tiger)
2009-07-31 16:15:30.031 Mail[475] Using a version of Growl.framework older than 1.1. One of the other installed Mail plugins should be updated to Growl.framework 1.1 or later.
2009-07-31 16:15:30.032 Mail[475] Loaded GrowlMail 1.1.6

It says the Growl.framework is too much old, but, it is the GrowlMail i installed from the 1.16 archive ! Plus i have no other Growl.framework somewhere else neither a duplicated version GrowlMail anywhere else.
So it clearly comes from the bundle itself.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.33 Ghz / RAM 3 Gb / Mac OS X 10.4.11

m-rick
Harmless

Postby m-rick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:26 pm

Finally we found the solution with boredzo, it is due to an old framework version in the GrowlPhoto bundle.
replacing it inside the package contents solved the problem.
I got my GrowlMail working back.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.33 Ghz / RAM 3 Gb / Mac OS X 10.4.11

Lyg
Frappa

Postby Lyg » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 pm

GrowlMail stopped working for me after I updated to version 1.1.6 on Mac OS X 10.5.7. Does the above post explain how to get it working again? I'm afraid I don't understand the post instructions.

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:42 am

Lyg wrote:GrowlMail stopped working for me after I updated to version 1.1.6 on Mac OS X 10.5.7. Does the above post explain how to get it working again?

Start from the beginning, which is here.

Lyg
Frappa

Postby Lyg » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:25 am

boredzo wrote:
Lyg wrote:GrowlMail stopped working for me after I updated to version 1.1.6 on Mac OS X 10.5.7. Does the above post explain how to get it working again?

Start from the beginning, which is here.

Hi boredzo, thanks for the link! Unfortunately GrowlMail doesn't work for me despite being correctly installed and being enabled. Other than that, 1.1.6 is running perfectly so I'm curious about what could be causing this issue. What additional info can I provide to help hone in on the issue?

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:10 pm

Lyg wrote:What additional info can I provide to help hone in on the issue?

What InputManager bundles do you have installed?

What SIMBL plug-ins (if any) do you have installed? (These would be in Home/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plug-ins.)

Lyg
Frappa

Postby Lyg » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:25 pm

boredzo wrote:
Lyg wrote:What additional info can I provide to help hone in on the issue?

What InputManager bundles do you have installed?

What SIMBL plug-ins (if any) do you have installed? (These would be in Home/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plug-ins.)

Embarrassingly it's working now. Yesterday a reinstall of Growl and a restart didn't fix the issue, but today I ran system maintenance with Cocktail and now GrowlMail is working. I wonder if clearing out old files did the trick?

Just in case it helps, here's what I'm running. My InputManagers are 1PasswdIM, Safari Cookies, Saft, SIMBL, and SpeedDownload Enhancer. My SIMBL plug-in is PithHelmet (although it's located at /Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/ and not ~/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/, as I have no SIMBL folder in my Home directory's Application Support folder.

Thanks for the help!

idm
Harmless

Postby idm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:42 pm

...just wanted to report how I resolved this problem on my system...

I'm now running 10.5.7, but I recently upgraded from 10.4.x. I installed Growl 1.1.6, along with GrowlMail, and I stopped receiving new messages in Mail.app. I was getting this error (visible in Console Messages):

9/2/09 12:11:08 PM Mail[38816] *** +[GrowlMail isEnabled]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x500072e0
9/2/09 12:11:08 PM Mail[38816] *** +[GrowlMail isEnabled]: unrecognized selector sent to class 0x500072e0 during invocation of -[LibraryIMAPStore openSynchronouslyUpdatingMetadata:]
Stack Trace: (
(
))

I could resolve it by uninstalling GrowlMail, but the real culprit was an extra copy of GrowlMail in /Library/Mail/Bundles. What I recommend is for everyone to run:

find / -name GrowlMail.mailbundle 2>&1 |grep -v Permission

This will list every instance of the bundle (filtering out "Permission denied" messages - you can leave off the "grep" if you want).

find / -name GrowlMail.mailbundle

I had a second copy of GrowlMail - possibly an old version - lying around. Deleting the extra copy in /Library/Mail/Bundles, and keeping the copy I had installed to my home directory, fixed the problem. You may need to interpret the results of the find command to fit your situation, since extra copies could potentially be installed in several locations.

-Ian

Return to “Growl”