Prowl under iOS sends clicks straight to link

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
dkabal
Harmless

Prowl under iOS sends clicks straight to link

Postby dkabal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Under iOS 5.x, clicked-on Prowl notifications will load the Prowl app, and then immediately load the linked-to app (for example, in my case Google Maps). This is undesirable.

Under iOS 4.x, clicked-on Prowl notifications will load the Prowl app.

Cheers,
Dave

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Prowl under iOS sends clicks straight to link

Postby zac » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:01 pm

The behavior is the same as iOS 4, however the context is a little more different.

Tapping on a notification, or launching from the home-screen, always will trigger any redirects. In iOS 4, if you 'unlock' after dismissing a notification, it merely unlocks the device and does not trigger the push notification.

You can avoid the redirect by not taking the push notification the application is displaying.

dkabal
Harmless

Postby dkabal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:43 pm

zac wrote:The behavior is the same as iOS 4, however the context is a little more different.

Tapping on a notification, or launching from the home-screen, always will trigger any redirects. In iOS 4, if you 'unlock' after dismissing a notification, it merely unlocks the device and does not trigger the push notification.

You can avoid the redirect by not taking the push notification the application is displaying.

I'm not sure I understand how my users (I have many) can avoid the click-through behavior. What are the conditions in iOS 5 where the redirects WON'T be triggered so that I can tell them to do this?

Thanks,
Dave

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:44 pm

Tapping on a notification, or "swiping to unlock" on the icon, will trigger a redirect.

Is your goal to send a `url` notification but not have it redirect to the URL in any case?

dkabal
Harmless

Postby dkabal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:54 pm

zac wrote:Tapping on a notification, or "swiping to unlock" on the icon, will trigger a redirect.

Is your goal to send a `url` notification but not have it redirect to the URL in any case?

Yes, the URL redirect is intended to get extra information on the message. I didn't want it triggered without a click on the little blue arrow, which seemed to be the default behavior in iOS 4.x.

Cheers,
Dave

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:24 pm

iOS 4 merely doesn't inform the application that you're launching for a push notification unless you 'swipe to view' as soon as the notification is loaded. It's not Prowl changing behavior, it's iOS 5. However, I feel that iOS 5's behavior is much more solid: tapping a notification popup or swiping on the lock screen triggers the redirect.

I don't have a solid workaround right now for what to do in this case, but I suggest enabling 'ask before redirect' which should be sufficient to prevent the accidental jumping over.

Return to “Prowl”