[FEATURE REQUEST] Custom Levels, ON / OFF & more status

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
AviatorRodent
Harmless

[FEATURE REQUEST] Custom Levels, ON / OFF & more status

Postby AviatorRodent » Wed May 11, 2011 8:59 am

Hi,

I purchased Prowl a couple of weeks ago to monitor automated feed imports. What an amazing app!

A few features I feel are missing though:

Separation of API keys in Prowl iPhone app:
Within the settings it would be great to see each API key setup on my account, and have separate settings for each key.

Custom priority level mapping per API key:
If I give someone my API key to use in their application, and they decide something trivial is in fact a high priority alert, it would be nice to remap this to something lower on a per API key basis. XYZ +2 = XYZ -1 for example.

Custom quiet hours per API key:
I don't need to be alerted of certain api key alerts at certain times. i.e. A third party service failure I would only need to know about while I'm awake, I needn't be woken up by something I have no control over. However I DO need to get up if a high priority alert comes through.

Custom alert status (on / off):
It would be great (if we had seperate API keys on Prowl iPhone app) to turn on and off those API keys as and when needed. While on holiday for example, I don't want to receive any work related alerts, however I would still like my other services.

Filter alerts based on API key:
The initial view would show everything, but it would be great to filter the alerts into those received by individual API keys. Perhaps even the ability to search the alerts.

Once again, cracking app / service, keep up the fantastic work!

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Custom Levels, ON / OFF & more status

Postby zac » Wed May 11, 2011 11:11 am

Separation of API keys in Prowl iPhone app:
Within the settings it would be great to see each API key setup on my account, and have separate settings for each key.

Hmm, I think this would come off as more confusing to most users. I do see the benefit here, but would something like separating by application be sufficient enough for what you're thinking of?

Custom priority level mapping per API key:
If I give someone my API key to use in their application, and they decide something trivial is in fact a high priority alert, it would be nice to remap this to something lower on a per API key basis. XYZ +2 = XYZ -1 for example.

For the most part I like to "trust" that the priorities are being used correctly, but I understand your desire. Perhaps a "maximum priority level" or "always use this priority level" on the API key settings page could handle this. Another "how obvious would it be?" kind of feature. But this one seems more plausible.

Custom quiet hours per API key:
I don't need to be alerted of certain api key alerts at certain times. i.e. A third party service failure I would only need to know about while I'm awake, I needn't be woken up by something I have no control over. However I DO need to get up if a high priority alert comes through.

This is a good request. I'll add it to the hopefully-one-day TODO list.

Custom alert status (on / off):
It would be great (if we had seperate API keys on Prowl iPhone app) to turn on and off those API keys as and when needed. While on holiday for example, I don't want to receive any work related alerts, however I would still like my other services.

The next version of Prowl is adding a "do not disturb" feature. I can see breaking that out by API key.

Filter alerts based on API key:
The initial view would show everything, but it would be great to filter the alerts into those received by individual API keys. Perhaps even the ability to search the alerts.

Searching alerts is definitely coming, I believe in the version after next. I started work on it for the next version but I'm not too happy with the results and I'd like to get this version out the door soon. I'll update my 'filter' ticket to include API key searching, but I do not believe the backend actually keeps track of which API key things come in under.

AviatorRodent
Harmless

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Custom Levels, ON / OFF & more status

Postby AviatorRodent » Wed May 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Hmm, I think this would come off as more confusing to most users. I do see the benefit here, but would something like separating by application be sufficient enough for what you're thinking of?

Separation by application would be great, however I would have imagined separation by API key (with it's unique name on http://www.prowlapp.com) would be cleaner? Either way's great! I'd personally have 'Feed Imports, Third Party Service, Work, Personal' just to name a few :)

For the most part I like to "trust" that the priorities are being used correctly, but I understand your desire. Perhaps a "maximum priority level" or "always use this priority level" on the API key settings page could handle this. Another "how obvious would it be?" kind of feature. But this one seems more plausible.

I guess what I mean is, although the web application will be using the priority levels correctly, the user might not feel those priority levels suit their requirements. However, maximum priority levels, or indeed 'always use this priority level', would help unnecessary high level alerts.

Very much looking forward to the next versions. Thanks zac!

Return to “Prowl”