Prowl updates sent to my email?

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
hitsurume
Harmless

Prowl updates sent to my email?

Postby hitsurume » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:12 am

Hi all,

Maybe someone can help me with this problem: I've been trying to receive instant or almost instant twitter updates to my email.

So far I currently have prowl using prey fetcher to get instant update pushes to my ihpone 4. Sometimes I leave my phone at home though, so i'm missing out on those instant updates.

Is it possible for Prowl to send me an email whenever it pushes something to my phone?

If anyone has any solution to my problem please let me know!

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Prowl updates sent to my email?

Postby zac » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:36 am

There's no way to do this through Prowl. Sorry!

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:42 am

The question I have is why? There are Many twitter clients for almost every platform.

hitsurume
Harmless

Postby hitsurume » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 am

Problem is there are no twitter clients that will email you when a twitter user makes an update. The closest to instant updating possible is through prowl where Prey Fetcher will usually push a notification to my phone with minutes of when something is updated. In my business that information is very useful being first to see it, that and constantly refreshing twitter itself is very annoying.

If anyone has any solutions to this, please feel free to make a post here! =)

tofumatt
Harmless

Postby tofumatt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:48 pm

hitsurume wrote:Problem is there are no twitter clients that will email you when a twitter user makes an update. The closest to instant updating possible is through prowl where Prey Fetcher will usually push a notification to my phone with minutes of when something is updated. In my business that information is very useful being first to see it, that and constantly refreshing twitter itself is very annoying.

If anyone has any solutions to this, please feel free to make a post here! =)

Well, there are lots of desktop Twitter apps (Echofon, Twitter for Mac) that use the Streaming API and show tweets instantly on your desktop without any manual refresh. They even use Growl, so the notifications are quite obvious.

That said, Prey Fetcher tends to deliver notifications within seconds of a tweet being posted; I regularly get notifications from Prey Fetcher the same time as from Echofon/Twitter for Mac (sometimes even before I see them on my desktop). Unless it has something to do with your data connection being quite slow, push notifications from Prowl+Prey Fetcher should be quite zippy.

For what it's worth, Prey Fetcher is open source (https://github.com/tofumatt/Prey-Fetcher). Not sure if you're a coder, but if you are it should be trivial to hack your own version that sent emails rather than Prowl notifications.

Return to “Prowl”