Prowlmail

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Prowlmail

Postby zac » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:43 am

Want an email to Prowl gateway? Good. Now there's an official one. Combined with the new multiple API key support, you can the API keys addresses to services with confidence.

More information on the Prowlmail page.

ccjensen
Harmless

Re: Prowlmail

Postby ccjensen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 pm

zac wrote:
For the same API key, if you wanted a priority of -2 (very low) you would do

Code: Select all

abc+-1@api.prowl.weks.net

Awesome!

Just a small correction, wouldn't it be:
abc+-2@api.prowl.weks.net
for "very low" priority?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:11 am

Oops, you're right. :) Fixed!

VxJasonxV
Harmless

Postby VxJasonxV » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Here's another nitpick typo.

zac wrote:Priority is [-2, 1, 0, 1, 2] from "very low" to "emergency."

[-2, -1, 0, 1, 2]

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Haha, good catch. Fixed.

(I shouldn't write forum posts after midnight, I think.)

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:14 am

Moved the API key the message was sent to, to the end of the subject, and only show the first 6 characters. The chances of the hash colliding in the first 6 characters is pretty low, especially for the same user, the odds are pretty strong against it. So, it's much cleaner.

This can also let you set up a redirect on the API key, so if the service sends messages from oddly different addresses (or multiple services send messages) you can still redirect based on API key.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:16 am

Incoming messages from Google Voice are now parsed a bit to clean them up.

egordin
Harmless

Postby egordin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'd like to use prowlmail to send a task to Omnifocus (some apps, like Reeder, don't have a send to omnifocus feature but have a send an email).

Omnifocus is already one of the Prowl redirects, and I know the custom url structure (omnifocus:///add?name=hello%20world&note=text%20and%20http://example.org/%20link).

Is it possible to pass the body of a prowlmail email to the custom URL? This would be great if I can do it, and a bit simpler than the Omnigroups email to omnifocus current workaround.

Update: I came up with an alternate solution: Omnifocus' send-to-omnifocus solution results in an email send back to you with the proper Omnifocus URL in it. I created a gmail filter to automatically forward these emails to my Prowlmail email address (and skip the inbox & mark as read & never important). Is it possible to have Prowlmail strip these emails to the bare link and automatically redirect to the given URL?

Thanks!

odo
Harmless

Postby odo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:51 pm

zac wrote:Moved the API key the message was sent to, to the end of the subject, and only show the first 6 characters. The chances of the hash colliding in the first 6 characters is pretty low, especially for the same user, the odds are pretty strong against it. So, it's much cleaner.

Is there a way to suppress the display of this (partial) key entirely? I'm just using Prowlmail for simple push notifications to my iPhone upon new incoming emails; it's enough for me to see the sender and subject and maybe he first bit of the message body, but always having my 6-character hash "(beb414)" on the end looks a bit ugly.

KenBotwinick
Harmless

Postby KenBotwinick » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi,

Prowlmail doesn't seem to work with negative priorities? It works fine for a priority of 2, 1, or 0. But when I send an email with a priority of -1 or -2, Prowl keeps playing the sound for Normal Sound instead of Moderate Sound or Very Low Sound. Anyone else have this problem?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:46 am

KenBotwinick wrote:Hi,

Prowlmail doesn't seem to work with negative priorities? It works fine for a priority of 2, 1, or 0. But when I send an email with a priority of -1 or -2, Prowl keeps playing the sound for Normal Sound instead of Moderate Sound or Very Low Sound. Anyone else have this problem?

Don't forget the + before the priority value. The + doesn't denote positive priority, it's just the separator token.

KenBotwinick
Harmless

Postby KenBotwinick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks. I do have the +. Without it no sound would play since the email address is not the right syntax. I can leave everything else in the email string the same (including having the +) and it works fine with the other priorities. But with +-1 and +-2 it plays the +0 sound. Am I the only one having this problem? Can someone else do a quick test? Thanks.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 pm

KenBotwinick wrote:Thanks. I do have the +. Without it no sound would play since the email address is not the right syntax. I can leave everything else in the email string the same (including having the +) and it works fine with the other priorities. But with +-1 and +-2 it plays the +0 sound. Am I the only one having this problem? Can someone else do a quick test? Thanks.

Can you paste the email address you're using (change your API key to x's if you'd like) so I can see what you mean?

KenBotwinick
Harmless

Postby KenBotwinick » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi. Sure. I thought it was failing because I was doing it in a script and passing the wrong value. But even when manually creating the email it plays the wrong sound.

From Applescript:
make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx+" & priority & "-nobody.strip@api.prowlapp.com"}

Manually
xxxxxxxxxxxxx+-2-nobody.strip@api.prowlapp.com

If I'm not mistaken, that should play the "Very Low Sound", but it doesn't. It plays the sound I have set for "Normal Sound".

Thanks,
Ken

[Edit: Took out some of the x's so the email address link wouldn't get shortened in the forum post.]

KenBotwinick
Harmless

Postby KenBotwinick » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:29 am

Hi zac,

This syntax works fine for you to play the correct sound? Is it just me?

Thanks,
Ken

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:36 pm

I haven't had the chance to investigate the issue just yet. I'll try to fix it tonight if I can reproduce it.

KenBotwinick
Harmless

Postby KenBotwinick » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Cool, thanks! I work in tech support, so I always hate being the one who pesters... ;-P

amaiman
Harmless

Postby amaiman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:22 pm

odo wrote:
zac wrote:Moved the API key the message was sent to, to the end of the subject, and only show the first 6 characters. The chances of the hash colliding in the first 6 characters is pretty low, especially for the same user, the odds are pretty strong against it. So, it's much cleaner.

Is there a way to suppress the display of this (partial) key entirely? I'm just using Prowlmail for simple push notifications to my iPhone upon new incoming emails; it's enough for me to see the sender and subject and maybe he first bit of the message body, but always having my 6-character hash "(beb414)" on the end looks a bit ugly.

Doesn't look like this was answered...I have the same question, for the same reason.
Can we have an option to turn off the hash on the notifications, please?

KenBotwinick
Harmless

Postby KenBotwinick » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:10 pm

I'd even like the ability to turn off the sender, since in my case I'm always the sender.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:59 am

KenBotwinick wrote:Cool, thanks! I work in tech support, so I always hate being the one who pesters... ;-P

Negative priority should work now. Give it a shot please.

amaiman wrote:Doesn't look like this was answered...I have the same question, for the same reason.
Can we have an option to turn off the hash on the notifications, please?

You can now use the option 'nohash' to not append it to the subject. Be careful though, you might not be able to figure out which API key is getting spammed if the email is used for it.

Return to “Prowl”