Feature Request: Repeat notification sounds

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
untergeek
Harmless

Feature Request: Repeat notification sounds

Postby untergeek » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:53 pm

I use Prowl to receive notifications from our Zabbix servers. In the middle of the night, it's easy to sleep through a single sound, though the really long bidi sound is effective at waking me up (and I can't quiet it).

What I would like is an option/setting to have repeat notifications/sounds per priority, e.g. every 1 minute for Emergency, every 3 minutes for High, every 5 minutes for Normal, etc. In this way I can get repeat notification for things I haven't paid attention or remembered in a timely fashion.

If someone has already submitted this as a request, I apologize. I haven't found that thread, if it exists.

I understand the logic of having repeat notifications come from the source too, but I really like this option.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Feature Request: Repeat notification sounds

Postby zac » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:02 pm

I've been thinking about adding a 'persistent' option to the API. Every x minutes, if you don't open Prowl the application, it sends the notification again.

tofumatt
Harmless

Postby tofumatt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:09 pm

A persistent option in the API would be a pretty cool idea; I'm sure some Prey Fetcher uses would dig such an option. I know I would.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:19 pm

Hm, doable server-side without a major infrastructure change. Might make for some interesting SQL though…

jjlawren
Harmless

Postby jjlawren » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:27 pm

I would love something like this, but not sure how the performance would scale.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:03 am

I have been thinking about this the past few days; my inclination is for it to be able to repeat up to once every 10 minutes for up to 5 hours, or something like that. Limit it enough but not too much..

VxJasonxV
Harmless

Postby VxJasonxV » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:55 am

Something to consider. iOS default SMS repeat in iOS < 4.3 was to play the sound when an SMS arrives, play it 5 minutes later if un-acknowledged, and and play it again 10 minutes later (that is, 5 minutes after 5 minutes), and then no more audible alerts nor pop-up notifications. Only icon badging and blue "unread" dots in Messages.app.

And in >= 4.3? well... I guess I'm only allowed to say it's different. (And maybe I'm not even allowed to say that.)

pdm
Harmless

Postby pdm » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:13 am

I could really use this feature as well. It is too easy to sleep through or accidentally ignore a single sound alert.

Is there a limit to how long the alert sounds could be? Even if it was just 30-60 seconds, having the alert be a longer sound while with a sound, pause, more sound, pause, more sound. That wouldn't require any server changes to re-send the notification.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:17 am

pdm wrote:I could really use this feature as well. It is too easy to sleep through or accidentally ignore a single sound alert.

Is there a limit to how long the alert sounds could be? Even if it was just 30-60 seconds, having the alert be a longer sound while with a sound, pause, more sound, pause, more sound. That wouldn't require any server changes to re-send the notification.

The limit's somewhere around 30 seconds. The "bidi (long)" sound covers the limit, and was made to be as annoying as possible, to get your attention for notifications that need it.

I think the API addition may be the right way to do this for _automated_ notifications, but for, say, an application generating a Growl notification there may be no easy way to do it.

Return to “Prowl”