Next update

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
prowluser8422
Harmless

Next update

Postby prowluser8422 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:41 pm

I've read through many of these forum posts, and it seems as though the next update for Prowl will happen in September. What I can't find is any clear list of what features are planned for this update. Many features have been requested, but I'm unsure of what to expect in the update. Zac, can you layout some rough roadmap of what features are going to be in the release?

Miko
Harmless

Re: Next update

Postby Miko » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Also here to get more information on the next release.

I hope that it will finally support natively iPad resolution :)

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:35 pm

I've been avoiding giving a strict expected featureset for the next release in case something prevents me from achieving them. Most are done or nearly done, so when I send the update to Apple I'll post the changelog in detail.

This next release is mostly a convenience, speed, iOS4 and API update, the release following will bring iPad support and some more UI changes.

prowluser8422
Harmless

Postby prowluser8422 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:27 pm

zac wrote:Most are done or nearly done

Can you list what changes are done? I'm trying to decide if I should stick with Prowl or start looking for or building a new solution. It's been a very long time waiting for an update, but the way you respond it sounds as though the next update won't be features, rather it will be bringing the code up to the iOS4 standards. Then I fear another long period before another update.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:37 pm

It's a bit more than that.

Definitely going to be in the next update:
  • Backgrounding support (fast app switching, of course, but also continuing to update in the background after quitting), as well as dropping the unread badge count for redirected notifications
  • CoreData-backed storage of notifications, so only the new ones need to be downloaded each time.
  • Addition of 'url' parameter to API to immediately redirect to a given URL
  • Custom URL redirect support

I can't speak to anything else in a definite sense yet, but the above is probably going to be 1.2 and additional things in 1.3 with iPad support.

What are you looking at feature-wise that Prowl lacks? I've updated the website backend code all-along, and the redirect list (of course), so it's not fallen by the wayside or fallen into an unsupported sense; it just needs more refinement that I haven't been able to dedicate to the iOS part yet.

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:38 pm

- hosted email notification addresses
- clicking on a notice should open the preset redirection app
- already stated custom URL redirects
- custom icons like howl?

prowluser8422
Harmless

Postby prowluser8422 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:51 pm

zac wrote:What are you looking at feature-wise that Prowl lacks?

Thanks for the information. As for what I'm looking for:
- Local cache of alerts, available for offline browsing. Sounds like this has been added, that's great!
- Color coding the alerts based on priority
- A setting that allows the list to be collapsed, with the selected item expanded (similar to first version)
- Originally a time stamp was displayed, now it shows how long ago the alert was. I would like an option to choose which method of displaying the time
- Ability to embed links, as requested here
- The ability to to forward an alert, as requested here

Miko
Harmless

Postby Miko » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:50 am

It's a bit disappointing the iPad version is not going to be addressed in this update, but happy that is planned.
Prowl works fine on the iPad but it just looks so ugly scaled up
Beside cosmetic issues I'm glad of the planned improvements and look forward the update.

Is a new Prowl, Growl plugin for Mac in the pipeline to address the problem with Growl 1.2.1?

Thank you Zac.

Edit: I just upgraded my installation of Growl to 1.2.1 on OS X 10.6.4 and prowl is working perfectly! is the issue with 1.2.1 only specific to leopard?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:42 am

Yeah, the issue with 1.2.1 is only a 32-bit issue. Almost all Macs aren't 32-bit, so it shouldn't affect too many people.

- Local cache of alerts, available for offline browsing. Sounds like this has been added, that's great!
- Color coding the alerts based on priority
- A setting that allows the list to be collapsed, with the selected item expanded (similar to first version)
- Originally a time stamp was displayed, now it shows how long ago the alert was. I would like an option to choose which method of displaying the time
- Ability to embed links, as requested here
- The ability to to forward an alert, as requested here

Local cache, yes, coming for sure. Color-coded priority I believe will be coming in the version following the one to-be-released, or this one, depending on which parts I write. I have the support in the application for changing the color, just no UI for it.

Collapsed list sounds like bothered more people than it helped. I'm thinking about making all messages collapsed but tapping on them opens a little overview that shows the rest, kind of like a subview but without throwing the view out of the way. This will also show full timestamp.

Embedded links is probably going to fall under the 'bbcode' functionality I'm aiming for in 1.3, which will support things like

Code: Select all

[b]bold[/b] [url=blah]text[/url]
- not quite HTML but something that can still style the text.

Forwarded alerts I don't quite have any immediate plans for. However, I could probably add "mail this" to the selection options when hold-tapping the notification, which wouldn't be too much work. I'll add it to my list for 1.3.

- hosted email notification addresses
- clicking on a notice should open the preset redirection app
- already stated custom URL redirects
- custom icons like howl?

I've got the email service ~25% written; it's mostly waiting on the ability to create additional API keys, and how I want services to interact with that. I'm trying to figure out if I want to use OAuth for services, or continue with API keys how they currently are. It's a difficult decision because there's pros and cons with both. However, I'll be releasing the email service for <apikey>@prowl.weks.net sometime after 1.2 is released (but before 1.3 work starts).

The (>) icon to trigger redirect will be in 1.2. Custom URLs as well. I'm not sure what you mean by custom icons, but including images with notifications was something I wanted to do for 1.2 but I'm pushing to 1.3 for time sake.

prowluser8422
Harmless

Postby prowluser8422 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Zac,

Any predictions on when an update is going to drop? We're into December now.

Sayen
Harmless

Postby Sayen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi zac

Any News on the next update?

It would be great to be able to change the size of the text.
At the moment it is very big for the iPhone4 / Retina display.
It would be easy to read even on half of the actual size...

Thanks
Sayen

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Prowl 1.2 has been submitted to the app store. It doesn't have everything I want to get to, but it has a good amount. Custom URL redirects and through the API, email/sms/copy from Prowl, an updated UI and retina graphics, bugfixes, and fun things along those lines.

I'm going to begin Prowl 1.3 shortly, which will have iPad and local notification caching. I do not want to give an ETA but it should not be long.

Thanks for your patience, I will not let Prowl go to rot.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:36 am

Email addresses are now a go too, see the forum post.

Sayen
Harmless

Postby Sayen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Thats GREAT News

Thank you :!:

What are the new features?
Is it possible to change the size of the text?

Cant wait to get my hands on the new Version :b

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:16 pm

It is not yet possible to change the size of the text, but the font size is a bit more roomier for most things. The old version would have been very difficult to increase text size because of the way I wrote the old stuff. I will see if I can make it a preference in the next release, because it is much easier to do so now, so it won't be too time-consuming.

I wanted to get this version out the door as easily as possible, so a few things got dropped. The changelog hasn't been posted yet, but the sneak peak is: UI changes, custom URLs, better redirects, portrait mode, and a few other things.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:47 am

Adjustable font size is done for 1.2.1 or 1.3, whichever comes first.

Sayen
Harmless

Postby Sayen » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 am

Hi Zac

Thank you very much for this update!

Sayen

Return to “Prowl”