redirections: what am I doing wrong?

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
alangenh
Harmless

redirections: what am I doing wrong?

Postby alangenh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi, I need some newbie help with redirections. I can successfully get push notifications, but I can't figure out how to get redirected. I added a redirection for "Google Voice (Website - Inbox)" and I typed "Google Voice" into the box. (Is that text just used as a label?)

I was hoping that when I get a notification (I'm using gvmax.com to forward sms's) I could get redirected to the google voice website. However, no matter where I tap it doesn't take me there -- it takes me to the prowl app when I click "view". Inside prowl, when I tap on the notifications, it doesn't do anything. Is it supposed to?

I'm missing something here, right...?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: redirections: what am I doing wrong?

Postby zac » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:20 pm

The application name is the name from which the notification is received. I believe it's "GVMax" for messages received from it.

alangenh
Harmless

Postby alangenh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:13 am

Oh, I get it! It's the heading in the title bar of the messages list. For GVMax, it's "GV SMS." That works!

Thank you!

thatguy123
Harmless

Postby thatguy123 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:11 pm

I'm in the same boat. I'm a Google Voice user. I generally use the Google Voice web app on my iPhone, which I have as a bookmark icon on my home screen.

In Prowl, my Google Voice-related notifications appear as "Google Voice". Under Prowl>Settings>Redirections>Add a New Redirection, I see two Google Voice items labeled "Google Voice (Website - Inbox)" and "Google Voice (Website - Dialer)". If I touch one of these, I see a checkmark. Then what am I supposed to do? There doesn't seem to be a submit function. If I go back to the Prowl>Settings page, it's clear I have not made a new redirection entry. The Prowl>Settings>Redirections page appears as if no selection was made on the Prowl>Settings>Redirections>Add a New Redirection page at all. I seem to be missing what the capture setting convention is in the UI...

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Make sure to enter the 'application name' field with the name of the application (the top-left part of the notification bar in the Prowl display).. then when you hit back, it will be saved.

Both the name (it matches against the name in the notification) and what application to launch are required fields.

thatguy123
Harmless

Postby thatguy123 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:33 pm

oh! I get it.

I thought the "application name" text entry field at Prowl>Settings>Redirections>Add a Redirection was some sort of lookup/filter for the list below. Now I see how this works.

Thanks for unconfusing me! Seems to be working great now. Yeah!

Return to “Prowl”