Not seeing push notifications

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
mbwd
Harmless

Not seeing push notifications

Postby mbwd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:43 pm

I just purchased Prowl and tried to set it up using the instructions. My problem is that the push notifications do not appear on the iPhone as a popup notice -- though they do appear in Prowl if that app is opened. As this issue is addressed in the FAQ, I followed those instructions (i.e., I restarted, resprung, and turned on/off the WiFi), all to no avail.

Also, the redirection that I set up for GVMobile doesn't work.

These are basically the only reasons that I got Prowl; if they don't work, I don't need it.

Please let me know if there are any solutions.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Not seeing push notifications

Postby zac » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:56 pm

Jailbroken issues are strange and something I've never been able to reproduce. I think one of the SMS replacement applications is breaking Prowl execution, I'm not sure. Try disabling them and seeing how it goes. If you don't have any, I'm not too sure what's happening. Do any devices show up on the Prowl website under settings?

How do you know the redirects fro GVMobile don't work, if the push notifications don't come through?

mbwd
Harmless

Postby mbwd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:55 pm

I do have textPlus installed. I will try to disable it. Would Y!Messenger or Skype or Fring create a problem?

Re: the redirect to GVMobile, I think I misunderstood the sequence of events in push. I thought it was that even if notifications are not coming up, but you have Prowl app on and can see the notification, it would redirect as well. Now that I type that out, it seems kind of silly and more likely that the redirect only occurs when the push occurs without the Prowl app open. So, until I fix the push notification, I won't know if the redirect works.

Thanks for your help. Back in a sec with a report on the disabling of TextPlus.

mbwd
Harmless

Postby mbwd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:14 pm

I need clarification on disabling my SMS applications. I deleted both textPlus and Ymessenger (didn't use them anyway). Is there another disabling that is required?

I missed your last question. The answer is, no -- "Your account is currently registered with no devices."

Thanks again.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Sorry I believe it was biteSMS that was causing the issues, not things you can find on the App Store.

I'm not sure what's preventing your device from registering, but it's something related to the jailbreak. :/ Do you have any addons which use MobileSubstrate (I believe this is the name for the program which is basically Application Enhancer for iPhone, it injects code into other programs).

mbwd
Harmless

Postby mbwd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:03 pm

I believe that a number of my programs use MS: Winterboard, SBSettings, Backgrounder . . . probably more but that was from a Google search as I don't know how to determine if a program is using MS.

Is there a way to temporarily disable MS? I thought SafeMode disabled MS. But I just tried it in SafeMode (again) and no Prowl notification.

If there's nothing more to do, please let me know. But that's a bummer.

mbwd
Harmless

Postby mbwd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Ok. I learned how to find the MobileSubstrate files and disable them (http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iphone-chat/681827-how-disable-mobile-substrate-add-ons-while-safe-mode.html and http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281514). Both work, but using SBSettings is easier. You can use iFile to confirm.

Here is a list of all the files in the Mobile Substrate that I disabled (i.e., all of them):

Activator
Bacgrounder
libhide
PreferenceLoader
ProSwitcher
WinterBoard

The only one that I left on is SBSettings itself. I then rebooted opened Prowl to check if the device is registered (I even logged out online and logged back in). Nothing worked: the Settings page says no device is registered.

It sounds like the MobileSubstrate is not the problem, unless it is SBSettings itself. Other ideas?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Hm, I'm not sure then. Are you on an unlocked device? Do other application's push notifications work?

mbwd
Harmless

Postby mbwd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:36 pm

I am on an unlocked phone, but solely using WiFi. I believe other push notifications work -- I only have yours and fring and I think the fring notifications work.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:44 pm

Do you have the SIM card in the device? If you don't have the normal data service, push notifications won't work with just Wi-Fi. It will only go over the carrier data service.

If you could confirm push works for another application it would be very helpful.

mbwd
Harmless

Postby mbwd » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Well, that may be the problem. I am basically using the iPhone as a iPod touch, without any cell service. From Apple's documentation, I thought that APNS works over either WiFI or cell internet (see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3576).

"Apple Push Notification Service requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later and a connection to the Internet, either via a cellular data network or Wi-Fi, and at least one application that supports notifications."

"The iPod Touch can receive notifications any time when the screen is on and Wi-Fi is connected. If the screen is asleep, the iPod Touch will check every 15 minutes for a notification."

Is this wrong? I'm downloading a push app right now to test. Zillow.

Riverdales27
Harmless

Postby Riverdales27 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:49 am

yeah i'm not getting push notifications anymore, it worked last night though on jb iphone 3.1.3.

Riverdales27
Harmless

Postby Riverdales27 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:38 am

I'm not getting any google voice sms being forwarded to my prowl app either even when i refresh. but when i email my prowl address and open the app i get the emails.

i used this method, and the device is still registered on prowl pages. i checked the filters and everything is correct.

http://truvoipbuzz.com/2009/10/easiest- ... tutorials/

Return to “Prowl”