Possible to send images?

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
ramblinpeck
Harmless

Possible to send images?

Postby ramblinpeck » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:25 am

This may well be a feature request, and may not be possible at all, but I was wondering if theres anything in the push mechanism and the growl protocol that would allow for an image to be pushed? Or maybe just a URL to be grabbed once it gets to the device?

I ask this because I'd I'd like to be able to monitor some security systems "realtime", and be able to give a quick glance to see if its something I should deal with immediately instead of just relying on email (which all too often is ignored until I go through the images each day)

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Possible to send images?

Postby zac » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Currently there's no way to send rich content in a notification through Prowl.

You should take a look at setting the priority of messages that come through either Prowl's API or Growl, and set the appropriate sound/vibration effect. Vibrate on low priority, play sound on higher priority, something along those lines.

ramblinpeck
Harmless

Postby ramblinpeck » Tue May 04, 2010 5:56 pm

Yeah, not luck there. Thats what I was originally doing, however with a motion detecting security system theres just too many false positives (car driving by on street, gust of wind moving limbs to much, etc) to go through the get alert->unlock phone->wait for prowl to come up->click link->see image didnt matter cycle several dozen times a day.

I guess I would need something like being able to run a script or preform an action on receiving a notification, and thats not in the cards for the phone (sadly). Oh well, time to look at other ways to figure out how to solve this aspect of the problem.

Thanks,

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Tue May 04, 2010 6:14 pm

Sadly no non-text content could be sent in push notifications anyhow. It would be a nice change.

Return to “Prowl”