How to get Dropbox app redirection working with Prowl!

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
Joer14
Harmless

How to get Dropbox app redirection working with Prowl!

Postby Joer14 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:54 am

Hi,
So if you have the dropbox app you may want a redirection so that it automatically opens the app when you get the update, but dropbox dev team has not added a URL scheme to the app to enable other apps to open it so in this brief tutorial I going to show you how to add the URL scheme to dropbox and the redirection to prowl manually.

First things first you need to be jailbroken to do this so. On a side note I'm not sorry to those of you who can't do this because they don't want to risk the jailbreak. It is totally worth it. Trust me. Just do it finally.
I'm using a mac but there is not reason you shouldn't be able to do this on a PC.

Step 1: SSH into your phone
You need to SSH into your phone and edit some files to do this. You need a SSH client like cyberduck to do this and openssh installed. Also you must change your default root password on the iphone after installing openssh or else you will run into some errors down the line. Optionally you can use a program like diskaid to access your phone via usb. Its a little simpler in some ways.

Step 2:Grab the files you need.
So first navigate to /var/mobie/Applications/<Dropbox app location*>/Dropbox.app
You need to download the info.plist if you want to edit. Alternately you can just try putting my copy on your phone. I don't know if this will work but I don't see why it shouldn't. You may have issues if you are running a different version of the app. In this case you will have to do the manual edit.
**Application locations will vary from person to person so I can't tell you what the directory will be. You can use ifile from cydia to find out more quickly.
Then navigate to the prowl app /var/mobie/Applications/<Dropbox app location*>/Documents and download the redirections.plist for editing. Once again you can upload my version if you want but I'm not sure if it will work.

Here are files that you can download so you don't need to edit. They come with no warranty ( not unlike the rest of this tutorial)
Redirections.plist http://theindependentnewspaper.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Redirections.plist
Info.plist http://theindependentnewspaper.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Info.plist
Step 3: Editing files
First make a backup of this file just incase something goes wrong. Not a big deal because you can always reinstall but better safe than sorry.
The first file we will edit is the dropbox info.plist. Open using plist editor and add a new URL scheme as outlined in this tutorial (http://iphonedevelopertips.com/cocoa/launching-your-own-application-via-a-custom-url-scheme.html).
Add Row- URL Types
Add Item- URL Identifier. I used "com.getdropbox.Dropbox"
Add Row within url types-URL Schemes
Add item within url schemes- I used "Dropbox"
Now save this file.

Now adding the redirection to prowl

Open up the redirections.plist with either the plist editor or a textedit. You need to add a new definition.
Here is the one I used. You can copy and paste this directly into the text file if you want; just make sure to put it after another </dict> and before the </array>:

Code: Select all

<dict>
      <key>Display</key>
      <string>Dropbox</string>
      <key>Key</key>
      <string>dropbox</string>
      <key>URL</key>
      <string>dropbox:</string>
   </dict>

After editing the files save them and upload them back onto your device. Restart your phone and then open prowl, select your new redirection and you should be all good.
I hope this helps someone. Feel free to comment and ask questions if you want.
Thanks,
Joe

sibyyl
Harmless

Re: How to get Dropbox app redirection working with Prowl!

Postby sibyyl » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:25 am

Hi,

Cool writeup. Do you need to modify redirection plist with new Prowl, since we can enter custom URL?

Jay_Ti
Harmless

Postby Jay_Ti » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:22 pm

sibyyl wrote:Hi,

Cool writeup. Do you need to modify redirection plist with new Prowl, since we can enter custom URL?

As far as I understand you shouldn't so any modification. But I can't be wrong...

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Unless the Dropbox app has been updated to support a custom URL scheme (I can check later if needed), the modifications above are to modify the *Dropbox* app to add support, not to modify Prowl.

Return to “Prowl”