Filtered Email Notifications?

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
MrKarst
Harmless

Filtered Email Notifications?

Postby MrKarst » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:59 pm

OK, this is probably something that many of you will think is too easy or trivial to even justify a response. However, I'm fairly unsophisticated tech-wise but I LOVE Prowl and Growl and I'd like to use it to do something that seems very useful and simple to me. I just haven't discovered a way to do it yet.

What I want is a way to send Prowl notifications when I get e-mail that meet certain criteria. As a simple example, all messages from a particular sender. Being able to filter on subject keywords and other attributes would be cool, too.

Any suggestions on how to set this up will be very much appreciated. I am not saying I won't be willing to do any script writing, etc. to make it happen, but there will be a learning curve (which is not a bad thing). By the way, I use Yahoo mail and Gmail, but most of the alerts I'd like to get come through Yahoo. However, if Gmail is just better for this kind of thing (and I suspect it might be), it could just be the last straw that makes me switch from Yahoo to Gmail more permanently.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

nzoschke
Harmless

Re: Filtered Email Notifications?

Postby nzoschke » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:45 pm

Take a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=21944

If you set up a Google App Engine app based on this code, you can do exactly what you want. Forward your emails from Yahoo to `nobody@your-app-name.appspotmail.com`, then configure the routes to make a Prowl API call if the sender, subject, etc. matches a your regex rules.

mlcampbe
Harmless

Postby mlcampbe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:08 pm

I used the code provided to create my own google appspot.com provider. I am only interested in the email to prowl part though and I see that the code has various calls for google voicemail and google SMS messages. What is the proper way to remove this code and make the result generic such that any email recieved at nobody@id.appspotmail.com is forwarded to my prowl api key?

I tried removing some stuff but got confused and it broke the app so it didn't work at all.

Is it possible you can post the files for a generic email-to-prowl app?

sabdal
Harmless

Postby sabdal » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:56 am

Awfully complex for simple "users" like me. Seems like I should be able to set a rule in mail.app to send a particular notification to growl (and then to prowl). In my case, Prowl is set to only send notifications when screen-saver is on, so that I don't get a million notifications while I'm sitting at my computer. However, when I'm away from my computer, I do NOT want email notifications sent, except for from a certain subset of conditions. Anyway to do this for a NON programmer? Problem with Prowl is it doesn't seem to allow for multiple conditions from the growl settings pane and I have no idea how to use an API.

whbaumga
Harmless

Postby whbaumga » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:13 pm

This is easy with Google mail. Set up a filter that forwards only mail that meets your criteria. Then, use the mail2prowl interface to forward the mails to <your API KEY>@mail2prowl.de.

Return to “Prowl”