No Updates, is Prowl abandoned?

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
Lazybones
Muffin

No Updates, is Prowl abandoned?

Postby Lazybones » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:30 pm

Last updated in Aug 19 '09 Prowl has to be the least updated paid app I have purchased.. I was eagerly awaiting custom URL support so I could do all sorts of scripts to web interfaces that already work with my iphone but nothing has been going forward.

Similar apps such as boxcar have had many updates http://appshopper.com/social-networking ... ifications.

So did we loose all the developers? Is there a BIG update in the works that is just taking time?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: No Updates, is Prowl abandoned?

Postby zac » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:20 pm

I've mostly just been busier than expected.

I'm slowly working on the next update, and I fix things server-side that crop up (performance issues, etc). I consider it stable and feature-filled such that 6 months isn't a large enough gap in time to consider it abandoned. ;)

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Well it is good to know it isn't abandoned, but it isn't what I would describe as feature rich.. guess we will just need to keep waiting.

unixgold
Harmless

Postby unixgold » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:09 pm

just because there are no updates doesn't mean it's abandoned. Prowl has done a suburb job of giving me notifications not just with Growl but using their prowl.pl and api key for events.

I say, if it ain't broke don't fix it! =)

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 pm

When you look to that whole the prowl service is decent, but the prowl app is very simple.

Some long standing request would really enhance Prowl:
- Custom URL redirection: it would be great to be redirected to webpages or web apps!
- Clicking on existing notices for redirection: I still find it odd that the only time app launching works is if you catch the one time popup.

prowluser8422
Harmless

Postby prowluser8422 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 pm

zac wrote:I consider it stable and feature-filled such that 6 months isn't a large enough gap in time to consider it abandoned. ;)

It's now been 17 months without an update. Is that a large enough gap to consider it abandoned? Several times in the past it's been mentioned that many changes are finished, but currently being tested. I've waited a long time, and advocated for Prowl to many of my friends, but I think I'm gonna have to start recommending Boxcar. There are still some things Prowl has that Boxcar is missing, but the Boxcar developers have already implemented one fix for me, and seem willing to entertain other feature requests.

Good luck Zac, sorry this didn't work out differently.

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:16 pm

prowluser8422 wrote:
zac wrote:I consider it stable and feature-filled such that 6 months isn't a large enough gap in time to consider it abandoned. ;)

It's now been 17 months without an update. Is that a large enough gap to consider it abandoned? Several times in the past it's been mentioned that many changes are finished, but currently being tested. I've waited a long time, and advocated for Prowl to many of my friends, but I think I'm gonna have to start recommending Boxcar. There are still some things Prowl has that Boxcar is missing, but the Boxcar developers have already implemented one fix for me, and seem willing to entertain other feature requests.

Good luck Zac, sorry this didn't work out differently.

The one area that Prowl seems to excel over Boxcar is that the servers ACTUALLY STAY UP... I have missed so many notifications via Boxcar I have split them up between the two apps, where my critical ones go to prowl and the fluff go to Boxcar. That and notification priority.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:09 am

You're right, I have been slacking off too much. I think it's mostly that the few guys I had beta testing moved on, and I haven't really felt the urge to do anything.

Help keep me honest. Sign up for betas at http://testflightapp.com/join/fd199fabf ... 4c98-OTgy/

(Sadly, *facepalm* I reformatted my old laptop without checking in the (albeit small) set of changes that I already had done. It was mostly just CoreData stuff I can reproduce now that I mapped it out, but it sucks. Anyway, I'll be posting fairly rapid builds I hope.

Return to “Prowl”