Prowl Gmail Python Script

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
ccjensen
Harmless

Re: Prowl Gmail Python Script

Postby ccjensen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:26 am

concerning the "garbled" text. I just spent the last hour researching it, and it's going to require some work. I will see what time I have, but to get that bit working, it might be easier to just start from the beginning…

Guess you are going to have to live with it for now, unless someone better at this then I has a good solution!
Sorry!

Steve
Harmless

Postby Steve » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:42 am

How about stripping the bad strings with regular expressions? Anyone up for some regex-fu? (I'd offer myself, but I'm terrible at writing reg-ex)
Check out AutoNote, a web service that pushes information scraped from the tubes to your iPhone through Prowl. Free and easy!

ccjensen
Harmless

Postby ccjensen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:47 am

problem is, it's not "bad" text, it's the actual contents of the email. But different clients send email in different content-types (utf-8, utf-16, latin-whatever, etc), content-encoding (usually 7 or 8 bit), and you also might have to deal with content in base64.
It's a big ol' mess, but python has some built in modules to deal with imap, which might simplify the process, but will require the script to be rewritten.
Last edited by ccjensen on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Harmless

Postby Steve » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:22 am

Oh, sorry...I don't get a lot of garbled text in my emails, so I don't know.

I'll take this oportunity to thank you for releasing your work to the public. I know how demanding people can be, so thank you.
Check out AutoNote, a web service that pushes information scraped from the tubes to your iPhone through Prowl. Free and easy!

ccjensen
Harmless

Postby ccjensen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:11 am

no worries. chriscannon is the real hero, I have just been tweaking his script :)

Return to “Prowl”