Feature request with desktop client: Instant Notification

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
blaktornado
Harmless

Feature request with desktop client: Instant Notification

Postby blaktornado » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:29 pm

I was wondering if it was possible for the desktop client to be able to determine how soon it sends messages depending on the application.

For example, if I didn't want Adium messages pushed to me while I was at my computer, I could set Prowl not to send those messages until the computer was displaying the screensaver. But to do that currently, I'd have to make ALL apps hold off from sending notifications until then, which may not be suitable for all apps.
But, say, I want to use Skype on my phone as my main method of talking through the service, I'd want the notification to pop up instantly on the device so I could start conversing with the person I was about to chat to on the phone, instead of the computer... but it's not possible to have both happen at the moment.

That probably wasn't the best example, but basically I was wondering if it was possible to have applications have individual settings about WHEN to send notifications. The only way I can think of at the moment is to duplicate the Prowl plug-in with different settings? But I'm not sure that would work, even as a hacky substitute.

dyerucf
Harmless

Re: Feature request with desktop client: Instant Notification

Postby dyerucf » Sun May 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Personally I would love a desktop client. Notify.io tried this, and it worked great... WHEN IT WORKED AT ALL. Personally I love Prowl, and would love to have a desktop client to be able to send alerts to via an API. Any thoughts

John

kjar011
Harmless

Postby kjar011 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:15 am

A desktop client to send messages to would get me using prowl. Sending messages from scripts on remote servers that I look after would be a god send. Would need the growl message style altered so that it doesn't re-prowl messages from the prowl desktop client.

P.S. Sorry for bringing back a thread from so long ago.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 am

The major problem is just the volume of connections needed to satisfy this. However, I'm open to the idea, and I've been thinking about it for some time. No progress to report, though. Perhaps sometime.. it'd be much easier if Growl 1.3 ever got released, which supports an updated 'subscription' model for registering for notifications.

unixgold
Harmless

Postby unixgold » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:24 am

A desktop version of Prowl (menubar only!) would be amazing. Keep it simple like the iOS version… Unless there comes a day you can actually run iOS apps on the desktop then this becomes moot.

Lazybones
Muffin

Postby Lazybones » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:52 am

You could build it as a webapp and work similar to some of the webbased im apps out there like google messenger or Meebo. If you build it right some mobile platforms like webs devices might even be able to use it as a primary client.

Return to “Prowl”