Upgraded to Lion and now Perian doesn't work

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
longshanks
Harmless

Upgraded to Lion and now Perian doesn't work

Postby longshanks » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 am

Hi all,

I upgraded to Mac OS Lion last night and it seems that when I secondary click media that used to play in Perian, I now no longer get the ability to open the content using Perian. If I go into system preferences and look for Perian it's still there.. but I just don't seem to be able to use it?!?! Is this a known problem?

Mr VacBob
Crema

Re: Upgraded to Lion and now Perian doesn't work

Postby Mr VacBob » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Try clicking Remove and then Install in the prefpane.

evoshroom
Harmless

Postby evoshroom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:15 am

I installed Lion myself yesterday and have been having the same problem. I tried the procedure recommended above and it did not work. The specific videotype I am trying to get to play is MKV's and also MKV's that have been re-saved in the MOV format by Quicktime 7 Pro. It should be noted Quicktime 7 still works just fine with Perian in Lion, only Quicktime 10 is affected. However, this issue is rather annoying.

shpemu
Harmless

Postby shpemu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:42 pm

I had the same problem. However, after doing a little research and uninstalling a few things, I've got it working. Here's what I did:

I had 3ivx installed along with Perian. Per the suggestion here -- http://perian.org/#support -- I uninstalled 3ivx.
    I also uninstalled Perian.
    I restarted my computer.
    With a fresh setup, I installed Perian for all users on my computer.
    When I fired up Quicktime 10, the .avi and .mkv files played just fine.

I would recommend checking the list at the link above (http://perian.org/#support) to see if there are any conflicts you may have.

Hope this helps.

ponyloky
Harmless

Postby ponyloky » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Same problem here. Recently updated to Lion, and now .avi files i used to be able to watch just fine in QuickTime go mute after a second. If I slide the progress marker to a different part of the movie I get another second of sound and then it gets muted again.

I tried removing Divx for Mac, removing perian, restarting and re-installing perian but there was no change.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas of what the problem might be or how to fix it?

Thanks!
Pony

gdh
Harmless

Postby gdh » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:20 am

Yes, i'm having the same audio issue...

longshanks
Harmless

Postby longshanks » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:10 pm

Uninstalling and reinstalling worked for me. Yay! :)

ponyloky
Harmless

Postby ponyloky » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:21 pm

longshanks wrote:Uninstalling and reinstalling worked for me. Yay! :)

really? which version of perian/quicktime are u running? which components do u have in /Library/QuickTime/?
I tried uninstalling it, removing it from System Preferences, restarting and installing it again and it didn´t work :(

Mr VacBob
Crema

Postby Mr VacBob » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:24 am

Uninstalling and reinstalling solves the issue of QTX forgetting about some file types after an OS reinstall. It doesn't solve anything else.

evoshroom
Harmless

Postby evoshroom » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:51 am

shpemu wrote:I had the same problem. However, after doing a little research and uninstalling a few things, I've got it working. Here's what I did:

I had 3ivx installed along with Perian. Per the suggestion here -- http://perian.org/#support -- I uninstalled 3ivx.
    I also uninstalled Perian.
    I restarted my computer.
    With a fresh setup, I installed Perian for all users on my computer.
    When I fired up Quicktime 10, the .avi and .mkv files played just fine.

I would recommend checking the list at the link above (http://perian.org/#support) to see if there are any conflicts you may have.

Hope this helps.

I just tried the exact procedure mentioned above. I have many other codecs installed, including 3ivx. I moved all codecs to the trash and completely uninstalled Perian. I then rebooted. I then reinstalled Perian. I then attempted to open a MKV in Quicktime 10.1. It did not work.

evoshroom
Harmless

Postby evoshroom » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:01 pm

1.2.3 fixed the MKV issues for me.

ponyloky
Harmless

Postby ponyloky » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:33 pm

evoshroom wrote:1.2.3 fixed the MKV issues for me.

1.2.3 does not fix the loss of audio after one second in xvid files with ac3

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:42 pm

ponyloky, if you followed the directions on removing obsolete/buggy components properly, then you are having an issue that's specific to yourself. Perhaps it is limited to a specific file, in which case no one can do anything without a sample of this file. I have numerous MKVs with AC3 audio, and none of them are exhibiting any problems.

I can confirm that AC3 (and DTS as well) passthrough does not work in QTX Player any more but it does work in every other QT player on the OS that I've tested. As best as I've been able to tell thus far, QTX player seems to be mangling the audio output in some way.

ponyloky
Harmless

Postby ponyloky » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:18 am

gbooker wrote:ponyloky, if you followed the directions on removing obsolete/buggy components properly, then you are having an issue that's specific to yourself. Perhaps it is limited to a specific file, in which case no one can do anything without a sample of this file. I have numerous MKVs with AC3 audio, and none of them are exhibiting any problems.

I can confirm that AC3 (and DTS as well) passthrough does not work in QTX Player any more but it does work in every other QT player on the OS that I've tested. As best as I've been able to tell thus far, QTX player seems to be mangling the audio output in some way.

gbooker, thanks 4 your answer. For the record this is not an MKV file it's an .avi file which accoring to QuickTime it's in the following format:

'XVID', 720 x 416
AC3, 48000 Hz, Stereo (L R)

Also, this is not a single file but a set of files and I used to be able to watch them just fine until I installed Lion.

Currently my /Library/QuickTime folder has the following components:

AC3MovieImport.component
AppleIntermediateCodec.component
AppleMPEG2Codec.component
Perian.component

and my /System/Library/QuickTime/ folder has the following:

ApplePixletVideo.component
AppleProResDecoder.component
AppleVAH264HW.component
QuartzComposer.component
QuickTime3GPP.component
QuickTimeComponents.component
QuickTimeFireWireDV.component
QuickTimeH264.component
QuickTimeIIDCDigitizer.component
QuickTimeImporters.component
QuickTimeMPEG.component
QuickTimeMPEG4.component
QuickTimeStreaming.component
QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component
QuickTimeVR.component

I don't know where else to look for obsolete/buggy components. Any ideas? Is there anything I should remove? Is there anything missing?

Thanks!
Pony

Mr VacBob
Crema

Postby Mr VacBob » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:53 am

I don't see anything wrong with that list of installed codecs.

Can you post a sample from the AVI file? A clip of the first few MB of the file is fine.

ponyloky
Harmless

Postby ponyloky » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:13 am

Mr VacBob wrote:I don't see anything wrong with that list of installed codecs.

Can you post a sample from the AVI file? A clip of the first few MB of the file is fine.

Here you go. First 20Megs

http://cl.ly/3j1V3K0V3J0j053s2w2v

longshanks
Harmless

Postby longshanks » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:31 pm

ponyloky wrote:

really? which version of perian/quicktime are u running? which components do u have in /Library/QuickTime/?
I tried uninstalling it, removing it from System Preferences, restarting and installing it again and it didn´t work :(

Uninstalled it via System Preferences and then clicked re-install. I can now play MKV files agin. Can't list components under QuickTime until I'm home.

pedroL
Harmless

Postby pedroL » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:06 pm

I thought of creating a new topic, but perhaps there's no need to.

So, after clean installing Mac OS X 10.7 Lion QuickTime Player X appeared to be unable to play AVI files and the system suggested the installation of QuickTime Player 7.
Today I realized that the problem is not in the AVI itself, but in the SRT subtitle file. The same AVI plays just fine when I remove the SRT file. That goes for all AVI files I have.
I hope this information helps the developers in some way. I am using Perian 1.2.3 with no additional components.

EDIT: I have just realized that this topic addresses what I've said above.

ponyloky
Harmless

Postby ponyloky » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:14 pm

longshanks wrote:
ponyloky wrote:

Uninstalled it via System Preferences and then clicked re-install. I can now play MKV files agin. Can't list components under QuickTime until I'm home.

Did that and it didn't fix my problem. BTW: my issue is with .avi files, not MKV.

'XVID', 720 x 416
AC3, 48000 Hz, Stereo (L R)

Cheers!

DJRumpy
Harmless

Postby DJRumpy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:21 am

I can confirm this is an issue, on a clean install of Lion (No previous install of lion or Snow Leopard). I also tried removing Perian (no 3ivX or anything else of that sort installed). Performed a clean install of Lion, installed Perian, and it refuses to play MKV. The play opens, it waits for 30 seconds or so, and then suggests that you install Quicktime 7:

"You need QuickTime Player 7 to open "Evolution.mkv". This file played fine under Snow Leopard.

Return to “Perian”