No audio from ADPCM codec.

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
harpdevil
Harmless

No audio from ADPCM codec.

Postby harpdevil » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:46 am

Hi all,

I've bought a Vado HD camcorder and while the video on the files it produces will play, the audio does not. Looking around forums Perian is supposed to be the fix, but I already had Perian and still no audio.

The file is as follows:
H.264 (Perian), 1280 x 720, Millions
Microsoft ADPCM, Mono, 44.100 kHz

I've removed and reinstalled Perian, uninstalled flip4mac and divx, still no joy. Playing the file in VLC shows that it recognises there is audio, but it's not decoding any blocks or playing any buffers like it does with the video. I've converted the file to another format and the audio returns, I just can't figure out why the ADPCM audio won't play from the .avi file.

Any help you could provide would be fantastic.

Macbook Pro, OSX 10.6.8, Quicktime 10.0 (128)

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: No audio from ADPCM codec.

Postby gbooker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:16 pm

We really need a sample of this file to diagnose this any further.

harpdevil
Harmless

Postby harpdevil » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:16 pm

Sure, shall I just put it up on a hosting site somewhere and put a download link in this thread?

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

That'd work. Note, it doesn't have to be large/long, just enough to exhibit the problem.

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:25 pm

We typically recommend mediafire for uploading, but any easy-to-access URL will do (some hosting companies are not easy to access).

harpdevil
Harmless

Postby harpdevil » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:22 pm

For some reason the upload kept timing out on Mediafire, so I had to use Megaupload instead, hope that's ok!

Ignore the idiocy of the video, it's the shortest one I had haha. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JNYAAQEA

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Ok, I tried playing the file both in QT Player (with Perian and Flip4Mac installed only; no divx) and in VLC. Both play the audio perfectly fine. I would recommend removing the divx decoder component as it has directly caused many problems and Perian completely supplants it's functionality.

I find it really strange that VLC would have a problem with this as it tends to play most things. What is more strange is that mine does play it, and VLC doesn't typically vary from machine to machine as it's self-contained. Can you try this file on another mac to see if it exhibits the problems?

harpdevil
Harmless

Postby harpdevil » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:45 am

So two things, first of all I made a bit of a blunder. A little while ago I had to restore my OS from the disk, which seems to have reinstated codecs I had deleted before. Deleting those got the audio playing in Quicktime, so apologies for that. I forgot about having to delete some codecs to make perian work. Secondly though, the audio still doesn't work in VLC which is a bit odd because as you say, VLC plays pretty much anything. That's not really an issue for me, but I'd be happy to continue testing stuff if you want to figure out why?

Return to “Perian”