The Devil's in the DivX

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
bartbrn
Harmless

The Devil's in the DivX

Postby bartbrn » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:35 pm

27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.7
Safari (v. 5.0.5 [6533.21.1])
Safari Extensions:
DivX HiQ 2.1.1.94 GONE NOW
DivX Plus Web Player HTML5 GONE NOW
Perian v1.2.2

First my main question: at the suggestion of a very helpful guy named Klaus1 on Apple's Safari discussion forum, I uninstalled the Safari extensions, and followed his instructions:

<< Try this:

Delete the Divx extension.

Now download and install Perian from perian.org

You should read this support page  http://perian.org/#support in case you need to delete older codecs. In Macintosh HD/Library/Quicktime/ delete any files relating to DivX (Perian already has them). However it should be noted that Perian is not an internet plugin and will not play DivX files imbedded on a website. For that you will need the DivX Player browser plugin available from divx.com/divx/mac

So, I followed his advice: I uninstalled the two Safari Extensions, and all the components the Perian support page suggested, then DL'd and installed Perian v1.2.2. It seemed to install all right, but theres a message on the Pref Pane General window that says "Perian is installed, but parts are Not Installed." I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but the window always says the same thing about "parts are Not Installed." Is this right, or am I doing something wrong here?

For the past week, I've been trying to find out why I can't watch videos on YouTube, Vimeo, etc. in the DivX player window using Safari Version 5.0.5 (6533.21.1). I won't bore you with the gory details, but when the putative DivX HiQ 2.1.1.94 and Plus Web Player HTML5 Safari extensions were ENABLED, I could actually SEE the "click on DivX Hi-Q for pulse-pounding excitement," but EVERY SINGLE time I've tried to select DivX HiQ, the YouTube screen turns into the gray DivX Plus player window for a few seconds, sometimes I got a brief spinning gear wheel and a "Buffering…" message (usually not), then a very UN-DivX-sideays-hat-hip error window pops up and tells me "DivX Plus Web Player could not download the video, please check your internet connection." Of course there's nothing wrong with my internet connection, except it's Comcast, they have tiered bandwidth, it costs too much, and is mind-numbingly slooooow; but Comcast's not the problem: I watch all kinds of streaming audio all the time. But I digress.

Back to the putative DivX Safari Extensions: when I DISABLED them, I got NO invitation to enjoy cardiac arrest from the gob-smackosity of DivX, because the HiQ button and graphic aren't there at all.

I hate to sound dumb, but Klaus1 told me "you will need the DivX Player browser plugin available from divx. However, when I click on that link, the link transmogrifies into another URL that ends in /en/software/mac/player [I tried yo post this message, but got told I couldn't have any more than 3 URLs in it, even though many of them are Perian URLs, so I'm trying to bowdlerize them -- BB]. Though the URL coyly says "software/mac/player," and you can navigate to such links as the URL that ends in "/en/software/divx/web-player," it's all the same as far as I can tell, because, though DivX lists the DivX 7 for Mac components separately...

DivX 7 for Mac:
Player
Web Player
Community Codec
Converter
Pro Codec
H.264
MKV
AAC

...and each component is a clickable link, at the end of any trip you take you're faced with only one option, as far as I've been able to tell: you have to download the whole DivX 7 for Mac package, codecs and all.

So what do I do -- install the DivX 7 package for Mac, and then try to pick out the codecs that might interfere with Perian? I'm guessing these would be ANYTHING DivX except the DivX Player and DivX Web Player, but I see that perian v1.2.2 also has H.264 and MKV, though NOT AAC or "Pro Codec, whatever THAT is.

What do I need to do here?

Thanks!

Bart

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: The Devil's in the DivX

Postby gbooker » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:35 am

First it should be noted that AAC is already present in QuickTime as well as Pro Res Codec (which may be what you meant there).

We have tracked down so many bugs related to the DivX components causing problems with Perian that we have decided we will never support anything that remotely involves their software. I remember the first one that I found causing a memory corruption for files containing AC3 audio and DivX video causing incorrect playback of audio; which wasted several hours of my time trying to fix a bug only to realize the bug wasn't mine to begin with. The list does not end there by a long shot. Sorry to say, but if you want any support related to their software, you've come to the wrong place.

bartbrn
Harmless

Re: The Devil's in the DivX

Postby bartbrn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:25 pm

"First it should be noted that AAC is already present in QuickTime as well as Pro Res Codec (which may be what you meant there)."

I didn't mean anything there, it was a simple cut-and-paste from DivX's so-called "DivX Player for Mac" page, listing the components of DivX 7 for Mac, one of which they call "Pro Codec," the actual structure and purpose of which you can most likely guess at far better than I can, because I can't guess at all.

This so-called "DivX Player for Mac" page is, in itself, an obfuscation of the truth -- DivX implies there is some standalone DivX Player and some standalone DivX Web Player that allows you to use the DivX "HiQ" player in YouTube and other sites. It's not so: what you get from the "free" download link there is what you get from the "free" download link anywhere on the DivX site: the complete DivX; in this case, DivX 7 for Mac.

I popped open the DivX 7 for Mac installer, and in the Archive.pax wrapper -- the entire guts of the installation -- there are over 200 items, including 2 Quicktime components, 4 QuickTime codecs, 2 Browser Plug-Ins, 14 bundles in the 'Stream Engine" alone, and 6 DivX applications: DivX Converter, DivX Player, 3 pure BS-DivX advertising apps, and the ONE useful Application in the entire program: "Uninstall DivX for Mac."

Unfortunately, I'm one of those obstinate (OCD) people who just can't stand not being able to fix a mechanical or software problem, but a week's time is a week more than I should have wasted on DivX to begin with. I wish I'd come to this forum in the first place, but I knew it wasn't a Perian problem -- I've never HAD a Perian problem, while I've had nothing BUT problems with DivX. I wasn't looking for support, I was looking for information, and the benefit of the experiences of others. Your experience with DivX have given me the impetus to give up on it, for which I'm grateful, like someone who's been pounding their head against a brick wall would be grateful towards someone who stopped them.

Thanks!

Bart

Return to “Perian”