soft subtitles in m4v file don't work

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
clockworks
Harmless

soft subtitles in m4v file don't work

Postby clockworks » Wed May 18, 2011 6:20 am

Hello,

I used Handbrake to create an m4v file with soft subtitles (not burned in). VLC allows me to select the subtitles fine, but Quicktime Player 10 (with Perian installed) does not detect the subtitles at all.

Thanks for the help.

Also, I registered with a different user/email and accidentally said I was under 13 and there is absolutely no way to delete that user/email so I can reregister with it. Who can I talk to about fixing the problem?

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: soft subtitles in m4v file don't work

Postby gbooker » Wed May 18, 2011 12:58 pm

This has already been answered. Please do a search first: search.php?keywords=m4v+srt

clockworks
Harmless

Postby clockworks » Wed May 18, 2011 3:02 pm

I actually read all those posts before posting, but I don't understand how they apply to my question: I don't have any .srt files.

Rodeo
Harmless

Postby Rodeo » Wed May 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Given how little information you provided, all I can do is guess. I do have a guess, however.

VLC has it's own MP4 demuxer; AFAIK Perian relies on QuickTime's MP4 demuxer. In which case soft VobSub subtitles won't be available for Perian to decode and/or display.

jelockwood
Harmless

Postby jelockwood » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:02 am

Your post does not say so definitely but that fact you say you used Handbrake to make the .m4v file and that it is supposed to have subtitles but that these are not .srt (text based) subtitles strongly implies you are converting from a DVD.

A DVD uses a series of bitmap images to display the subtitles. QuickTime Player is only geared up to treat subtitles as subtitles if they are stored as text in a special subtitle track, you would then be able to use the Subtitles command in the View menu to select them. However all is not lost. For bitmap based subtitles it is possible to play these in QuickTime Player but because QuickTime Player is not recognising them as 'real' subtitles you need to control them in a different way. What you need to do is go to the movie properties option Command-J on the keyboard or from the Window menu. Unfortunately this is only available in QuickTime Player 7 (not the new QuickTime Player X) and also only available if you have QuickTime Pro. QuickTime Player 7 is an optional install from your Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6 installer disc. When you have the properties window open you should see a list of all the tracks in the movie and be able to enable or disable specific tracks. In this case you would want to enable an extra video track corresponding to the subtitles. This extra track will then be played on top of the movie image.

Note: I have not tried this with a .m4v file but have done so with a .mkv file produced from a DVD

As you found VLC does recognise both .srt (text based) and bitmap subtitles as subtitles. For your information these bitmap subtitles (from a DVD) are usually referred to as vobsub type subtitles as DVDs store the subtitles and video in files ending in the .VOB file extension.

It is probably not possible due to technical reasons, but if by some chance it is possible, it would be nice if Perian could some how link the Subtitles command in the View menu to control these bitmap video subtitle tracks.

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:57 pm

jelockwood wrote:it would be nice if Perian could some how link the Subtitles command in the View menu to control these bitmap video subtitle tracks.

QuickTime's concept of what subtitles are is far too limited to be worth any examination.

Return to “Perian”