Need Some Basic Help

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
Kooler
Harmless

Need Some Basic Help

Postby Kooler » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:48 am

Hi-
I am not the best when it comes to understanding techie stuff. I purchased a MacBook Pro with Perian under System Preferences, Mac OS X 10.6.7 snow Leopard. I have had to use Perian several times for a website called Movie Trunk that rents videos (Movies). I usually rent them through ITunes, but this website (which I forgot the name right now) has a much better selection. It is supposed to update automatically but I checked it today and it said there was a new update and a new folder or something for system Preferences. I updated Perian to 1.2.2 from 1.2.1 and I got the System Preferences error box which said it will be sent to Safari when I reopen System preferences. It then said the update was installed successfully to Perian 1.2.2 but I did not notice and new system preference for the Perian folder. However as I said it did say the update was successfully installed to Perian 1.2.2.

The Error Report was sent to, I think it said Safari or System Preferences but sending the error report to System Preferences makes no sense. Like I said I have needed Perian to rent videos to watch on my MacBook Pro.
does this sound like all is OK or is there somewhere else I can check to make sure the new update for Perian updated OK? any suggestions about the new folder update too that would occur with the new 1.2.2 version?

I appreciate any help, and since I am not totally sure what this Perian does, and help in understanding it would be appreciated. As I said it was on the Macbook Pro when I bought it and since I started renting videos from Movie Trunk website I know I need Perian, and I would think the latest update.

thanks for helping a person who just does not understand most of this stuff like why I even need Perian, what Perian does, but I do know I do need it.

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Need Some Basic Help

Postby gbooker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:06 pm

What "folder" are you talking about?

Kooler
Harmless

Postby Kooler » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:21 am

when I went to update a message came across the display saying the folder in system preferences will be updated too. I am not even sure what this Perian is for. I want to rent movies from a website and they recommended I install this program. I still am unable to view the movies from this website, but just the other day I realized there was an update, even know I have automatic update, it did not catch the newer update so I did it manually.

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:45 pm

Kooler wrote:he folder in system preferences will be updated too.

That's the "folder" you were talking about? It's not a folder, it's a Preference Pane.

Kooler wrote:I am not even sure what this Perian is for.

http://www.perian.org/

Kooler wrote:I want to rent movies from a website and they recommended I install this program. I still am unable to view the movies from this website

Perhaps you should be talking to them about that. I don't see how you expect us to try and resolve an issue with someone else's products, especially products which you are paying to use. Shouldn't the responsibility of support fall on them?

Kooler wrote:I got the System Preferences error box which said it will be sent to Safari when I reopen System preferences.

I think you are confusing Perian with something this website produces. Perian does not send anything to Safari.

Return to “Perian”