Passthrough hack ok but helicopter noise when seeking

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
2much
Harmless

Passthrough hack ok but helicopter noise when seeking

Postby 2much » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Hello,

The Passthrough hack works great with ac3 & DTS. My receiver is a Logitech Z-5500. I have 2 issues but, from what I was able to understand, they are unsolvable until Apple implements ac3 & DTS. I thought I would mention them all the same as a note of interest, but if there is a fix I would be interested.

1/ If I seek (fast-forward or rewind) with QuickTime I get the helicopter noise. If I pause then seek, no noise.

2/ If I seek with Front Row; no helicopter noise only a slight click when I press play to stop the seeking.

I guess both of these issues are down to the way both applications handle seeking. Still it's good to know, if you've got the same problem as me just use Front Row to be able to seek with minimum annoyance.

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Passthrough hack ok but helicopter noise when seeking

Postby gbooker » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:07 pm

As stated, the passthrough that Perian implements is a hack. We cannot do anything better unless Apple decides to grace us with an actual API to accomplish the task. What you mentioned are side effects of the hack.

2much
Harmless

Re: Passthrough hack ok but helicopter noise when seeking

Postby 2much » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:24 pm

gbooker wrote:As stated, the passthrough that Perian implements is a hack. We cannot do anything better unless Apple decides to grace us with an actual API to accomplish the task. What you mentioned are side effects of the hack.

Thanks for the answer.

Return to “Perian”