Question about stereo output with stereo sources.

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
ceebee
Harmless

Question about stereo output with stereo sources.

Postby ceebee » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:27 am

I am using the optical out of my Mac Mini to an Emotiva XDA-1 DAC. This is a 2-channel stereo DAC, made for music not home theatre. I use EyeTV as a PVR and TV tuner, and it just passes through whatever digital format the soundtrack is in, and so I just learned that HDTV isn't 2 channel stereo - it's something fancier, Dolby or sumthin' I am sure you guys knew that!

So Perian came to the rescue. I set the output to Stereo, and the audio that my DAC couldn't decode before, now plays. Awesome. So Perian appears to be sitting in between my source file and my optical output and doing its magic.

So here is my question. When I play 2 channel stereo music, from Itunes or Decibel or whatever player, does Perian mess with the signal or just pass it through? I would prefer a pure passthrough of 2 channel stereo digital so that my DAC recieves the unadulterated source signal. Anybody know? Thanks!

. I installed Perian so that

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Question about stereo output with stereo sources.

Postby gbooker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:46 pm

ceebee wrote:So here is my question. When I play 2 channel stereo music, from Itunes or Decibel or whatever player, does Perian mess with the signal or just pass it through?

Perian isn't even used in this case, so it doesn't affect anything.

ceebee wrote:. I installed Perian so that

? Looks like you got cut off.

ceebee
Harmless

Re: Question about stereo output with stereo sources.

Postby ceebee » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Fantastic, that was my guess, but it was just a guess. Thanks for the quick reply, very much appreciated.

I didn't get cut off, not sure what happened there!

Return to “Perian”