Removal question

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
Fingers
Harmless

Removal question

Postby Fingers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:05 am

Hi.

I need Perian completely out of my computer. I turned it off in Pref's but this is just disabling it correct? I want it gone.......no penknife icon in Pref's, no lurking files, nothing.

I record and write music and I am having a problem with Sibelius notation software......it is crashing and they have looked at my crash logs. According to them some users who had Perian installed were having similar issues with Logic. So they are assuming this is a similar issue...I use Pro Tools 9....and have asked me to completely remove Perian. So since I have a lot invested in Sibelius and the sample libraries I want to use with it....and since I do not need to view the kinds of movie files Perian supports.........I just want the app completely removed.

I'm sorry.....I am sure it is a great application but for now I need it out.

Can someone help me with how to make sure every file related to it is uninstalled. Thanks.

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Removal question

Postby Robby » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:02 am

I did a quick a search and found this: viewtopic.php?t=14736.

Fingers
Harmless

Postby Fingers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks Robby. I did that and am happier that it is gone. I appreciate that.

However, I am stressing that this is a superficial removal only.

Can anyone from Perian Support etc please weigh in on this? I really need to know that one or more components of Perian are not installed anywhere on my computer after doing these two steps.

If there is anything residing somewhere, can you please tell me how to remove it?

As a matter of interest, why is there no actual full uninstaller anywhere for this program? It would make life so much easier.

Thanks.

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Fingers wrote:Can anyone from Perian Support etc please weigh in on this? I really need to know that one or more components of Perian are not installed anywhere on my computer after doing these two steps.

Read the post; I already answers this. This now marks the second post in which you could have easily answered your own question instead of asking others to do it for you.

Fingers wrote:As a matter of interest, why is there no actual full uninstaller anywhere for this program? It would make life so much easier.

Uninstallers are not a good solution, period. If you want uninstallers, perhaps you should be using windows and enjoy uninstallers that leave chunks littered throughout the hard drive while claiming the program is uninstalled.

Fingers
Harmless

Postby Fingers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:32 am

Well geez, aren't you a friendly one today huh? No need to be rude old chap, what?

A simple "yes that process does take everything out" seems like it could have been a lot quicker and easier to type, than what you felt obligated to say. I suppose that this is one of the benefits of being site admin, you get to talk to people any way you like. Was I rude to you? Was I rude to Robby? No-my questions were polite and without attitude.

Just because you are a software developer computer code writer....doesn't mean everyone else understands it or the exact details of how your software operates within the Apple OS. There are a lot of Mac apps that include an uninstaller in the install folder.

Nice CS man!

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:59 am

OK, you want to go into this:

Fingers wrote:No need to be rude old chap, what?

No need to ask questions answered in several locations previously. Definitely no need to ask it again after it had been answered for you. What's to say you won't ask a third time?

Fingers wrote:A simple "yes that process does take everything out" seems like it could have been a lot quicker and easier to type, than what you felt obligated to say.

Faster would be for you to read the previous post; It said as much. So does the website. So do the results of a Google search: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=perian+removal Even faster would have been for you to look yourself and not even have to ask.

Fingers wrote:Was I rude to you? Was I rude to Robby? No-my questions were polite and without attitude.

You're wasting people's time, twice over. The first time around you asked a question answered numerous places before. The second time around you asked a question that was directly answered in response to your first.

Fingers wrote:Just because you are a software developer computer code writer....doesn't mean everyone else understands it or the exact details of how your software operates within the Apple OS.

I'm well aware of that, but I am well within reason to expect you to have a grasp of English. Asking the question a second time demonstrated this expectation was an overstatement in your case.

Fingers wrote:There are a lot of Mac apps that include an uninstaller in the install folder.

Not native mac developers. Adopting a bad practice from another platform leads to greater problems.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:05 am

Fingers wrote:No need to be rude old chap, what?

Just to clarify, it's considered rude to make people repeat themselves.

Return to “Perian”