Convert, or view, VCD? Is MPEG-2 a QT component of Perian?

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
bartbrn
Harmless

Convert, or view, VCD? Is MPEG-2 a QT component of Perian?

Postby bartbrn » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi --

Two questions I hope you can help me with:

1. I have an instructional disk that is in VCD format. I tried opening it with VLC (on my iBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11; I haven't tried opening it on my 27" iMac Core 2 Duo, running OS X 10.6.5) using the "Open disc..." command and selecting "VCD" as the format. The video started playing (though the sound was breaking up badly), but everything stopped after about a minute, and, though I could hear the disk spinning merrily in the optical drive, no business resulted. Not only that, it took me 3 shutdowns and power-ups before I could successfully eject the disk -- which is why I haven't tried it on my iMac yet.

I know (I think!) Perian isn't specific for VCD, but does anyone have any ideas? I'd just like to extract the video and (hopefully synchronized!) audio from this disk, but so far no joy. Would it be worth trying to make a dmg of the disk and attempting to extract what I want from the image?

2. Please excuse my technical ignorance, but is the MPEG-2 Quicktime component that Apple wants 20 bucks for incorporated into Perian (which I've been using for many years, thank you all so much)?

Thanks for any help, and keep up the excellent work!

Thanks!

Bart Brown

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Convert, or view, VCD? Is MPEG-2 a QT component of Perian?

Postby gbooker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:36 pm

bartbrn wrote:is the MPEG-2 Quicktime component that Apple wants 20 bucks for incorporated into Perian

Video, yes. File format, no: http://www.perian.org/#support

Return to “Perian”