final cut idea: temporarily disable from preferences pane?

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
khyron
Harmless

final cut idea: temporarily disable from preferences pane?

Postby khyron » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:50 am

I have a question/suggestion related to the persistent frustrations that people seem to have (mentioned here and elsewhere on the 'net) regarding the simultaneous use of Perian and Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express. I don't know about everyone else with this issue, but I find Perian useful to the point of being downright indispensable. The problem is, I need Final Cut to work (particularly with AVCHD) on my Mac and it drives me nuts that I have to uninstall Perian (or fear installing it in the first place) to keep Final Cut reliable.

How hard would it be to implement a "disable" radio button (or similar control) in the Perian preferences pane to allow someone to temporarily "turn off" Perian while using an application with cross-compatibility issues like Final Cut? If this could be done, it would mean the world to folks like me who depend on both Perian and Final Cut (or any other application which has issues with Perian).

Back in the days when Perian was just that one file that you dropped in a folder someplace for Quicktime to find, adding and removing it was no big deal...in fact it was so easy that one could have automated it. However today, with the more involved installation process, I'm not sure as an end user how to automate an installation/removal so that it could be done frequently and reliably.

If for any reason such a feature could not be easily added to the preferences pane, is there any way that an end user like me can do something themselves to cleanly uninstall/reinstall Perian each time they have a Final Cut editing project (or similarly incompatible task) to work on?

Thanks very much for any feedback on this question/idea. :)

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: final cut idea: temporarily disable from preferences pane?

Postby gbooker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:24 pm

khyron wrote:How hard would it be to implement a "disable" radio button (or similar control) in the Perian preferences pane to allow someone to temporarily "turn off" Perian while using an application with cross-compatibility issues like Final Cut?

It's already there. It's called "Remove Perian." When done, it changes to "Install Perian." This will accomplish exactly what you need, by removing all components Perian install (except the pref pane), then hitting the install puts it all back. Just note, you will likely need to (re)launch applications in which you want this to take effect.

khyron
Harmless

Postby khyron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:50 am

gbooker wrote:
khyron wrote:How hard would it be to implement a "disable" radio button (or similar control) in the Perian preferences pane to allow someone to temporarily "turn off" Perian while using an application with cross-compatibility issues like Final Cut?

It's already there. It's called "Remove Perian." When done, it changes to "Install Perian." This will accomplish exactly what you need, by removing all components Perian install (except the pref pane), then hitting the install puts it all back. Just note, you will likely need to (re)launch applications in which you want this to take effect.

Damn, I really should have bit the bullet and installed, I would have seen that...thank you for setting me straight! :D

My other two Macs don't really use Quicktime at all and I've been afraid to install Perian on my editing machine due to the Final Cut dilemma. I probably have an unreasonable fear of getting into "irreversible" codec configuration situations, comes from the emotional damage of too much Windows use back in the day.

So if I understand correctly, "Install Perian" and "Remove Perian" from the preference pane works just like a toggle switch, in an atomic sort of sense, and it's not necessary to go the extra length of removing the pane itself in order to smoothly edit in Final Cut? Sounds like I should just be on my way and enjoy all the extra Quicktime capability from the magic swiss army knife! Thank you so much, by the way, for the wonderful tool that Perian is. :)

gbooker
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby gbooker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:46 am

khyron wrote:So if I understand correctly, "Install Perian" and "Remove Perian" from the preference pane works just like a toggle switch, in an atomic sort of sense, and it's not necessary to go the extra length of removing the pane itself in order to smoothly edit in Final Cut?

Yes, that button handles Perian's installation, and removing it in the pref pane removes all of the codecs. Once Perian went beyond a single bundle, we needed a way to manage its installation, and a preference pane was a mechanism by which we could do that. The only copy preserved when you hit remove within the pref pane is a zip archive within the preference pane itself so it can reinstall later. The pref pane's presence by itself does not add any codecs to the system.

khyron wrote:… it's not necessary to go the extra length of removing the pane itself in order to smoothly edit in Final Cut?

There is no need to remove the preference pane unless you really don't want it listed in your system preferences. It only adds code to the system preferences app and doesn't affect any others.

adamschoales
Harmless

Postby adamschoales » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:50 am

Curious: you running FCP 6 or 7? I was wondering if this whole FCP issue was still an issue with 7 or only with 6?

Return to “Perian”