"Perian - Open in QT Player" appears in Snow Leopard

The Perian forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
weriusaa
Latté

"Perian - Open in QT Player" appears in Snow Leopard

Postby weriusaa » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:27 am

Using Perian 1.2

When I try to open a .MKV file in Snow Leopard, I double-click, and by default it opens a script called "Perian - Open in QT Player" in my dock, and then closes it, opening in QT X.

I've never seen this behavior before.

When I right-click and select, open with "QuickTime Player", it opens normally without problems.

Why does this happen?

weriusaa
Latté

Re: "Perian - Open in QT Player" appears in Snow Leopard

Postby weriusaa » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:36 am

However, when I try to set the default opening thing as QT Player and not that script, and hit "Change All" - it doesn't change them, and just goes back to the "Perian - Open in QT Player" app.

lopoz
Harmless

Postby lopoz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:23 pm

How can that entry be removed from the "Open with..." menu?

Mr VacBob
Crema

Postby Mr VacBob » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:02 am

It can't, its existence is required for QT Player to be able to open mkv.

However, not being able to change the opening app for a file is just a Finder bug - you are allowed to change files to open directly in QT Player.

lopoz
Harmless

Postby lopoz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:45 am

Mr VacBob wrote:It can't, its existence is required for QT Player to be able to open mkv.

Are you sure? What if I just want to use Perian to have previews in the Finder? I don't use QT to open my mkv's, so I don't want to have Perian listed as an option in the "Open With..." menu..

Mr VacBob
Crema

Postby Mr VacBob » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:06 am

Then you can open the prefpane's package and delete the app inside it. But I don't really have any motivation to support this.

lopoz
Harmless

Postby lopoz » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:16 am

Thank you. I will try that once I get back to my computer.

As for motivation: I like my Open With menu's to contain the least possible applications, i.e. the cleanest possible. And as I never use Perian to open mkv's (or any other file types for that matter), I don't want the (iconless) entry cluttering my menu.

AppAttack
Harmless

Postby AppAttack » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:24 am

weriusaa wrote:Using Perian 1.2

When I try to open a .MKV file in Snow Leopard, I double-click, and by default it opens a script called "Perian - Open in QT Player" in my dock, and then closes it, opening in QT X.

I've never seen this behavior before.

When I right-click and select, open with "QuickTime Player", it opens normally without problems.

Why does this happen?

Oh my gosh! I never thought I'd ever find someone who was having the same issue as myself. I, too, use Perian and I'm constantly having to use the Open with option. Now, I DO have a question. . .

I used to be an avid Windows user and there was an option where you could choose "Always use this selected program to open this kind of file" when you utilized the "Open with.." option. Is there ANYTHING like that for Mac or am I stuck going through the oh so tumultuous task of right clicking and using "open with." LOL.

It's not a huge deal, but a lil' bit of a pain. I may find myself having to invest in a PC next time around. Does anyone know if hhgregg sells gaming PC'S? I'd love to be able to customize the software more. Ha! XD
Last edited by AppAttack on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr VacBob
Crema

Postby Mr VacBob » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:17 am

Cmd-I on a file, choose Open With -> QuickTime Player, click Change All.

Thargok
Harmless

Postby Thargok » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:15 pm

I suggested that a while back to add icon support for different file formats, it is exactly what Flip4Mac does and I'm assuming that is why it was implemented. It doesn't hurt anything to leave it there.

Return to “Perian”