Info window

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
stevepa
Vienna Team

Info window

Postby stevepa » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:53 pm

I've just committed the changes that add an Info window for folder metadata. This replaces the Validate Feed command which moves to the folder. I think the Validate Feed command doesn't really feel crucial enough to belong on the File menu which I still think it needs to be preserved.

I'm not entirely happy with the Info window UI althought it works fine. I really want to have solid lines separating each section but I ran out of time figuring out how to create an encompassing view that would allow me to draw this. If anybody else wants to tackle this project, please feel free.

The Info indirectly adds two new features: the ability to change authentication information and the ability to unsubscribe from a feed.

jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby jeff_johnson_dev » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:11 pm

It builds and runs fine, but I can't open InfoWindow.nib in Interface Builder. I get the error "-[NSKeyedUnarchiver decodeObjectForKey:]: cannot decode object of class (SNDisclosableView)".

When the info panel opens up, there's a blue focus ring on Description, and I'm able to click and get a cursor in the title.

jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby jeff_johnson_dev » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:11 pm

Also, I don't think there should be an ellipsis after Validate.

stevepa
Vienna Team

Postby stevepa » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:01 pm

I checked in the IB palette so you'll need to use the Palette menu to add it before opening the NIB file.

I'll drop the '...' after the Validate command.

Thinking about this earlier, I think there's a better way to construct the panes by putting each section into separate NSViews and creating the panes dynamically in the code. I'll have a think about this and see if this is feasible.

dcrosta
Muffin

Re: Info window

Postby dcrosta » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:25 pm

(Digging this up from quite some time ago...)

I wanted to check the InfoWindow.nib to see what the target/action bindings were, but was unable to open the nib without an error similar to what was described above. Unfortunately, the source code and project available from http://www.snoize.com/ a) doesn't compile on 10.6/64-bit without some nudging, and b) when it does, compiles an IB 2.0 .palette, not an IB 3.0 .ibplugin. None of this is of major concern to me for my immediate work; rather, I'm worried that we now have a dependency which may prevent us from updating portions of the app without major intervention.

So two questions:

a) does anyone have a working .ibplugin that keeps Interface Builder from complaining?
b) if not, does anyone have an in with Kurt Revis, through whom we might poke to get such an .ibplugin built?

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Postby Michael Ströck » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:26 pm

I have to answer "no" to both questions ATM...

inflector
Muffin

Postby inflector » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:49 am

Any ideas? I sent off another email to Kurt, hopefully he'll have some idea what's going wrong. Perhaps one of the more experienced hands here can take a look at the project Kurt directed me to at:

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/Source/

Hi Curtis,

I've also sent him an email a while ago. I have resigned to the possibility that we may have to completely rebuild the thing for the next version....

Robby
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Robby » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:26 am

Quote fail II. :razz:

AlanR
Frappa

Postby AlanR » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:53 pm

Yeah, quotes are acting kinda wonky here.

inflector
Muffin

Postby inflector » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:49 pm

On a good note. I received an email from Kurt last night:

OK, got this worked out.

1. Get a new copy of the MIDI Monitor source from
http://www.snoize.com/Code/MIDIMonitorSource.tar.gz

I changed only one file (Configurations/Snoize-Project-Global.xcconfig) to make it buildable on Snow Leopard and XCode 3.2.

2. Open Frameworks/DisclosableView/DisclosableView.xcodeproj.

3. Using the "Overview" button in the Xcode toolbar, set the "Active Configuration" to Release.

4. Find where the built results ended up.

If you have set a global build folder in the Xcode prefs, it will be in there. If you haven't, it will be in a folder named "build" next to the DisclosableView.xcodeproj.

5. Run Interface Builder. In its preferences, in the Plug-ins section, click the "+" button.

6. Go to the build folder and choose Release/DisclosableView.framework.

Note: NOT the .ibplugin directly, but the framework. There is a copy of the plugin inside of the framework and IB will find it.

I just ran through these steps, and it worked. Sorry it's such a baroque process.

Using these steps I was able to get a version of the plugin installed. I think the key was his NOTE not to add the ibplugin directly. Very strange that you can't do that.

Unfortunately it was 32-bit, I couldn't seem to get a universal 64-bit built, but that's probably because I'm just not experienced enough with XCode yet. But running IB in 32-bit I was able to edit the InfoWindow, add the new checkbox I wanted, and even run it in the simulator where the disclosable view arrows worked just fine.

I now have the checkbox working within Vienna successfully.

- Curtis

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Postby Michael Ströck » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:29 pm

Thanks for this!

Return to “Vienna”