2.0.0.2022 (split from announcement)

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
joostjodel
Harmless

feat. req. Ad Blocking, like SarariBlock

Postby joostjodel » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:00 pm

Hi there, lovely app, I've dumped bloatslow RSS owl for Vienna right away when I tried this out a few days back.
I have one feature request that would be lovely: is it possible to have an adblocker like SafariBlock in Safari, or Adblock in Firefox?
Thank for a great app!!

sjk
Harmless

Postby sjk » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:31 am

PithHelmet support would be great.

stevepa
Vienna Team

Postby stevepa » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:56 pm

An ad-blocker is already on the wishlist for 2.1.
Thanks!

loopkid*
Harmless

Postby loopkid* » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:11 pm

I'd love to see support for SafariBlock since I already have a working blocklist for that one :-)

loopkid
Harmless

Re: 2.0.0.2022 (split from announcement)

Postby loopkid » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:03 am

Has there been any progress made on this topic within the last two years?

icerabbit
Harmless

Postby icerabbit » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:12 pm

Does anybody know if adblocking is possible at all now?
We're at 2.5 ... there is supposed plug-in compatibility ... and this was on the wish list for 2.1

I don't have a super fast connection and dislike the several second delay when articles pull in several ads.

AlanR
Frappa

Postby AlanR » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:24 am

The FeedLight Style has adblocking built in, very clever.

Over time I've added sites to my versions to block ads the developer did not foresee, it's pretty easy and the CSS could be borrowed from FeedLight for a different style should you prefer another.

I never see ads in the feeds.

cheechi
Muffin

Postby cheechi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:59 pm

I am very interested in this being implemented in whatever form the devs see fit. More and more feeds are now showing a 'snapshot' to drive traffic to sites, presumably to deliver ad content. In the beginning, the snapshots were just text blocks or smaller images, now they're shrinking to less than a sentence & nearly all have ads now. I think most of us would agree they shouldn't have it both ways.

Since I would open the article in Vienna's browser anyway, please extend the adblocking not only to the articles but to any page loaded in Vienna.

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Postby Michael Ströck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:26 pm

cheechi wrote:I am very interested in this being implemented in whatever form the devs see fit. More and more feeds are now showing a 'snapshot' to drive traffic to sites, presumably to deliver ad content. In the beginning, the snapshots were just text blocks or smaller images, now they're shrinking to less than a sentence & nearly all have ads now. I think most of us would agree they shouldn't have it both ways.

Since I would open the article in Vienna's browser anyway, please extend the adblocking not only to the articles but to any page loaded in Vienna.

We'll implement a feature called "Full Web Page Feeds" that will automatically load the linked-to web page in stead of the summary for feeds where you want that. Personally, I will not contribute any work to ad-blocking features for the browser, because I'm strongly opposed to ad-blocking in general. That doesn't mean that Steve or somebody else won't pick it up, though.

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Postby Michael Ströck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:28 pm

loopkid wrote:Has there been any progress made on this topic within the last two years?

No, we have not even looked into it to be honest. Personally, I never will. However, Vienna being an Open Source project, that doesn't mean that somebody else can't do it.

Return to “Vienna”