Clean upgrade to Catalina - Vienna problem

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
slammer99uk
Harmless

Clean upgrade to Catalina - Vienna problem

Postby slammer99uk » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:52 pm

To cut a long story short, under Mojave I was using Vienna to read binary newsgroups, SabNZBD to fetch the .nzb by double clicking an article in Vienna, the binary was then downloaded to a download directory. Non binary group articles would open in a new Vienna tab to be read in full.

Under Catalina, I am trying to use the same configuration, I have found that I need to tick the "open links in external browser" option in preferences to download the .nzb, but this has the undesired action of opening the non binary article in an external browser as well. If I untick the "open links in external browser" option I have found that the non binary articles open in a new Vienna tab, BUT Binary articles will not download the .nzb.

I could really do with some ideas to try here. API keys are ok.

Many thanks.

Jeremy

slammer99uk
Harmless

Re: Clean upgrade to Catalina - Vienna problem

Postby slammer99uk » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:15 am

Just to clarify, I never used to have the "open links in external browser" option ticked previously. Vienna just download the .nzb.

Jerry

sandstrom
Latté

Postby sandstrom » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 am

That might be the same as this thread.

slammer99uk
Harmless

Postby slammer99uk » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Thanks for the reply/suggestion Sandstrom, but no I do not believe this is related, however I can confirm that I do see the same result as on that thread as others have.

The main problem I can have is that the download of my .nzb file never makes it as far as the downloads window when double clicking the article. When I right click the article containing the .nzb and select download attachment, it downloads a file with no extension that consists of a long series of letters/numbers. like this:-
eae203eeddc2eae7f7f7797bf1432088.nzb&i=171115&r=3201843a8aad4195deac2190bdcdc002

On a hunch, I have just experimented and added a .nzb extension to this file, then double clicked it and it adds it to SABNzbd and the .mkv or what ever extension it should have is downloaded as it used to be, but without the correct file name:-
c86e0bf1e58f4bca9229d4d12b9d25ac.mkv

Previously the file would have been downloaded into a folder with the correct name but with the file inside would have the file names as above in the second example, however I knew what the program/film name was by the name of the folder it was created in.

Still tearing my hair out here to try and solve this :)

Jerry

slammer99uk
Harmless

Postby slammer99uk » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Another small part of the puzzle solved. I found the "load full HTML article" switch in the get info of each feed. So now see the full article in the preview window (i.e. BBC News)

The last and main part I am trying to solve is downloading an nzb file by double clicking the article in Vienna without the "open links in external browser" option.

Jerry

Return to “Vienna”