Run Multiple Discrete Instances of Vienna RSS

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
theredhype
Harmless

Run Multiple Discrete Instances of Vienna RSS

Postby theredhype » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:02 pm

I'm a heavy user of the Vienna RSS client. I have several distinct uses for the tool, and would like to be able to open and manage them separately.

This requires that I'm able to:

1. Create two copies of the application on my machine (easily done), and
2. Point each one at a different local database. (this is my current challenge)

The second item is the part I haven't been able to figure out for Vienna. After inspecting the application's package contents, I suspect the setting for this is embedded in the executable and I won't be able to get to it. I'm hoping someone can show me how, or that the developers will move this setting to the preferences pane of the app in the future to make this easier. (This could also be a useful setting in combination with a feature that allows us to store plaintext versions of the content we pull down in a local folder, but I digress)

I'm doing this "multiple instances of an app" thing successfully with another app I love, Notational Velocity. In NV I edit the CFBundleIdentifier in the plist file so each copy of the application has a unique one. Then, in the NV app's preferences, I can change/choose the storage location for the files, so I'm able to point two versions of the app to different folders.

Is this possible with the current version of the app?

jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Run Multiple Discrete Instances of Vienna RSS

Postby jeff_johnson_dev » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:32 pm

See http://www.vienna-rss.com/?page_id=96#How_do_I_move_my_Vienna_database_to_another_folder, replacing uk.co.opencommunity.vienna2 with the new bundle identifier. No guarantee it'll work, but that's what you'd try.

David Munch
Grandé

Re: Run Multiple Discrete Instances of Vienna RSS

Postby David Munch » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:40 am

I assume that this would help you out, if it ever gets implemented properly.
For Vienna issues: Please search Github before posting! Otherwise, file a bug report on Github.

If you are interested in helping out with the development of Vienna, see the Vienna website for details. All levels of programming experience are welcome! :grin:

Return to “Vienna”