Unable to delete an article

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
hopkinsje
Harmless

Unable to delete an article

Postby hopkinsje » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Hello,

I'm using Vienna Version 3.1.8 :1bc6bc3: on an iMac Retina 5K OS version 10.12.2.

I have an Ars Technica article listed in Vienna as unread that that I'm unable to mark as unread or delete. If I mark the article as read, it changes from bold to regular font, but remains in the Unread Articles list. If I refresh, it stays in the folder and is bolded as if unread. If I delete the article, it disappears, only to reappear when I again view the Unread Articles folder.

I've tried deleting and recreating the Ars Technica subscription (http://feeds.arstechnica.com/arstechnica/index/), but the article reappears and persists as soon as the article list is refreshed. I'm only seeing the problem with this one article. I've tried redexing the database, but that doesn't resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Jim

sandstrom
Muffin

Re: Unable to delete an article

Postby sandstrom » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:24 am

Have you tried quitting Vienna and then restarting? The go to the offending feed, select the article, mark it as read. You should see the (unread) article count change (Vienna title bar, dock, number next to feed) and the article should stay as read.

hopkinsje
Harmless

Postby hopkinsje » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks. I should have said: quitting and restarting was the first thing I tried. The article remains in the Unread list after marking it read and returns after I delete it.

I just reran the sequence you suggest to make sure I was correct and noticed one thing I hadn't noticed before. The unread article count doesn't include the offending article. If it's the only article in the Unread list, the unread count shows nothing. If there are multiple articles in the list, the problem article isn't included in the count.

I just tried exporting all my feeds, deleting all feeds, quitting Vienna and restarting, importing the feeds from the OPML export, refreshing, and marking all read. The offending feed magically returns.

For what it's worth, I''ve imported all the feeds from the same OPML file into other readers (Reeder, via Feedly; Leaf) and don't see the problem.

I'm dealing with some sort of ghost that likes haunting Vienna.

Jim

josh64x2
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby josh64x2 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:26 am

Hrmm sounds like some sort of database issue. Would you feel comfortable with sharing your Vienna database so I can track down the bug?

Thanks,
Josh
I help with Vienna development.

Return to “Vienna”