Vienna not responding

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
cllu
Harmless

Vienna not responding

Postby cllu » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Vienna was working satisfactorily, but yesterday it threw up a beach ball and is no longer responding. I have to force quit. I am running Vienna 3.0.0 RC1. I am using a Macbook Air running Darwin 13.3.0. This occurs even after a cold boot.

I am new to Mac and OSX so is it a simple matter of reinstalling Vienna? Or deleting a plist file or something?

Hmm... after some experimentation, it appears it freezes up on Dilbert.com RSS feed for July 12 and 13th. Anyone else have this problem? The article view must be set to Web page for the freeze to occur. Is there something on the dilbert strip webpage that the vienna web viewer cannot render?

barijaona
Vienna Team

Re: Vienna not responding

Postby barijaona » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:37 pm

I could not reproduce this. Did you notice any problem in Safari ? Vienna use the same WebvKit engine.
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

cllu
Harmless

Postby cllu » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:14 pm

It wasn't just Dilbert.com. It is any web based article. I load the same articles in safari and it's fine. I created an account at github and got the latest and greatest vienna code. I built it and ran. When the problem occurred, I hit pause in Xcode and it pauses in the following code. I'm not an objective-C or mac person so this is unfamiliar territory for me. Does this help at all?

See attached image for the screenshot.

Screenshot 2014-07-13 15.06.54.png

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:03 am

What would be more helpful is launching Instruments (menu Xcode -> Open Developer Tools -> Instruments)

Click the "cancel" button, then through the Dock's right click menu, select "Automatically Time Profile Spinning Applications"
Perform the maneuver which throw up the beach ball. You will be notified after Instruments has finished its recording. The trace will be available through the Dock's right click menu.

The trace may be too huge to be sent by mail, but you can expand the Call Tree and post a screenshot here.

Have you tried trashing Vienna's preferences file before relaunching Vienna ? (file uk.co.opencommunity.vienna2.plist in folder ~/Library/Preferences )

cllu
Harmless

Postby cllu » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:25 am

Yes tried deleting the plist after you mentioned it. Still have problem. I also booted into Safe Boot and the problem still persists. Here is the stack trace (screen shot anyway) when the problem happened while in Safe Boot. I hope I did it right.

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 18.21.31.png

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:03 pm

You did it right, but the information would be more useful if you select on the left : "Sample Perspective"->"Running Sample Times"

Do you have Internet plugins ? (in /Library/Internet Plugins and in ~/Library/Internet Plugins)

PacoH
Harmless

Postby PacoH » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:02 pm

I have this problem whenever the app is left idle and I go back to it. I have to force quit it regularly.

barijaona
Vienna Team

Postby barijaona » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:25 am

Might be related to a memory management issue I am currently investigating.

Return to “Vienna”