Browser tabs lost on crash

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
bpmildh
Harmless

Browser tabs lost on crash

Postby bpmildh » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:27 pm

This has happened to me more than a few times now and is really disturbing.
Scenario:
I browse my feeds and click on the ones I want to read more of to open them as browser tabs in Vienna.
I keep five or ten or more open browser tabs to read later.
The application crash and on restart the tabs open up but are empty and have lost their urls.

The crashes are no good but acceptable, sometimes I do overuse tabs and don't restart in days.
Losing browser tab urls is not cool, it means missing information and/or time.
Same kind of crashes in FF keep urls of open tabs on restart, in Safari I can restore them through history.

I looked in to it after a crash today and it looks like Vienna saves tab urls in the preference plist file, and it only saves the state of tabs at shutdown.
Why are the urls of open tabs not saved to a database continuously the same way as feeds are? Or saved to the preference file on any change.

Vienna 2.6.0.2601
OSX 10.6.8

PS. I know Vienna is open source and I really appreciate the work you do and give away for free!

bpmildh
Harmless

Re: Browser tabs lost on crash

Postby bpmildh » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:27 pm

No one?

Herve5
Latté

Postby Herve5 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:50 am

AFAIK, the behavior from Vienna when crashing is to try reopening all previous tabs ONCE, then if you recrash it'll restart with empty tabs, probably due to the mechanism you describe...
I have come in the event of a crash to very quickly close the last (and most suspectful) opened tab, and restart voluntarily; I must say anyhow that such situations only happen (here) when I have dozens of open tabs (along with thousands of unread feeds)...

bpmildh
Harmless

Postby bpmildh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks and yes, the crashes comes out of heavy use. But that's what rss is for me, extensive and effective web browsing. I will try your suggestion on next crash, but it has been a while now as I altered my behaviour to avoid crashes. Not really satisfied though.

ivvyevents
Harmless

Postby ivvyevents » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Herve5 wrote:AFAIK, the behavior from Vienna when crashing is to try reopening all previous tabs ONCE, then if you recrash it'll restart with empty tabs, probably due to the mechanism you describe...
I have come in the event of a crash to very quickly close the last (and most suspectful) opened tab, and restart voluntarily; I must say anyhow that such situations only happen (here) when I have dozens of open tabs (along with thousands of unread feeds)...

That's a useful piece of information, but it would work only if it is responsive and you are quick to notice the change in it. I think that it is indeed worth a try the next time such a situation occur.

Return to “Vienna”