Vienna crashing

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
shawn
Muffin

Re: Vienna crashing

Postby shawn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Replaced 302s this morning and Vienna crashed on startup… Not sure if this'll help track that one down, but I think I have some spring cleaning to do:

Code: Select all

$ grep "^HTTP" tmp.txt | sort | uniq
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable
HTTP/1.1 505 HTTP Version Not Supported

I saved all of the URLs and headers into tmp.txt for easier searching without continually poking everyone.

autumnmist
Latté

Postby autumnmist » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Ok, I was still getting crashes upon manual refresh after getting rid of 301s and 302s. I looked in the Vienna Activity window and found one feed that is giving me a 412 error (412 Precondition Failed). I disabled that feed (unchecked the unsubscribe button) and so far no crashes after trying to manually refresh 3 times.........

or......... I spoke too soon. Vienna crashed on launch this time around.

inflector
Muffin

Postby inflector » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:54 am

Doing a little (tiny actually) amount of digging. I think there's some serious problems with 10.6.3 for lots of apps and lots of people.

Many people are reporting that Adobe CS3 apps don't work, including Photoshop. Also iMovie crashes.

See: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 4&tstart=0
and: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 6&tstart=0

and from Adobe:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/834/cpsid_83499.html

It includes the following quote:
To confirm that you will not be affected by this issue prior to installing the OS 10.6.3 update, do the following:

From the Apple menu, choose About this Mac.
Click the More Info button.
In the Hardware Overview pane, look at the value for "Serial Number (system)".
If the value has 12 characters or less, you can install the update without being affected by this issue.

For those of you who are getting the crashes (even after removing the 301 redirects), how many characters are you getting in your serial numbers? I don't know if the issue is related, but it might be.

- Curtis

Creativegeek
Harmless

Postby Creativegeek » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:56 am

@Curtis..well it might fit..no crashes here and I have an 11 digit serial number (system)

best

CG

autumnmist
Latté

Postby autumnmist » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:08 pm

I have 11 digits and I had crashes... after I removed/disabled the 412 feeds, the 301 and 302, I haven't had any crashes.

benst
Muffin

Postby benst » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Yeah, still crashing here too. Not so often anymore after removing all the 301 redirects I could find.

Ben

autumnmist
Latté

Postby autumnmist » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:31 am

autumnmist wrote:I have 11 digits and I had crashes... after I removed/disabled the 412 feeds, the 301 and 302, I haven't had any crashes.

Ugh, I take that back. I am still getting occasional crashes, but only ever 6+ hours or so... my feeds are set to refresh every 30 minutes, so it's not clear what the deal is.

benst
Muffin

Postby benst » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:30 pm

11 digit serial number here too.

Still gettting crashes (sometimes *a lot*).

Ben

timreverb
Harmless

Postby timreverb » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:59 pm

11 digit serial (current 13" MBP).
Haven't yet searched for or changed any redirects.
However after a long weekend at home on my direct net connection with no crashes, I've just returned to work where I run through a convoluted series of proxies which I know Vienna has never quite got the hang of (doesn't seem to detect the location change and respond appropriately), and it crashed almost straight away.
It now won't complete a full refresh, while it must have done this 100 times at home while proxy-free.

autumnmist
Latté

Postby autumnmist » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:04 pm

timreverb wrote:11 digit serial (current 13" MBP).
Haven't yet searched for or changed any redirects.
However after a long weekend at home on my direct net connection with no crashes, I've just returned to work where I run through a convoluted series of proxies which I know Vienna has never quite got the hang of (doesn't seem to detect the location change and respond appropriately), and it crashed almost straight away.
It now won't complete a full refresh, while it must have done this 100 times at home while proxy-free.

Hm interesting... I did clean out redirects but still get infrequent crashes.... I use GlimmerBlocker so everything on my computer is sent through a locally-hosted proxy for ad removal.

jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby jeff_johnson_dev » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:19 am

If people want to post their crash reports, it may be informative for me to see whether they're all the same or if there are differences. I definitely encourage you to submit your crashes to Apple; the more reports they get, the more likely they are to take action.

I haven't tried this myself, but for those who are getting frequent crashes, simultaneous connections appear to be a problem, so you might want to try limiting Vienna's refreshes to one feed at a time. There's a hidden preference you can set in Terminal:

defaults write uk.co.opencommunity.vienna2 MaxRefreshThreads -int 1

timreverb
Harmless

Postby timreverb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:08 pm

I posted a crash report earlier, next time I get one I'll post that too. Since I changed to single refresh at a time I've had none at all, direct or proxy-connected.

Still haven't found the time to remove my redirects, so it's interesting that even with them (presumably) still in place, but doing single-refresh, things seem ok.

autumnmist
Latté

Postby autumnmist » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:54 pm

timreverb wrote:I posted a crash report earlier, next time I get one I'll post that too. Since I changed to single refresh at a time I've had none at all, direct or proxy-connected.

Same here.

benst
Muffin

Postby benst » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:24 pm

jeff_johnson_dev wrote:I haven't tried this myself, but for those who are getting frequent crashes, simultaneous connections appear to be a problem, so you might want to try limiting Vienna's refreshes to one feed at a time. There's a hidden preference you can set in Terminal:

No crashes here since this change.

Ben

timreverb
Harmless

Postby timreverb » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Still no crashes on single-refresh. However this is just a workaround as it takes ages to refresh my 200+ subscriptions one at a time.

Should some of us at least set it back to 4 so that we can generate crashlogs and get the underlying issue worked on?

illumino
Harmless

Re: Vienna crashing (Script Supplied to Analyse Feeds)

Postby illumino » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:23 am

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone posting on the topic!

I have taken the ideas and code snippets here and produced a little script to analyse the messages database to help cleanup feed URLs.

I am running Vienna 2.5.0.2501 on MacOS X 10.6.3 with over 750 feeds (mostly blogs.sun.com based) and Vienna crashes regularly in Apple supplied code as documented in the topic.

Place the attached code in your Vienna subdirectory (see code), set the execute bit (chmod +x <filename>), read the comments carefully and you should have a simple tool to analyse the feeds in your messages database and help your update or unsubscribe (manually) from feeds which maybe causing stability issues.

Regards,
Peter Bray
Sydney, Australia

PS: By cleaning up feed_urls or unsubscribing from broken feeds I have managed to run Vienna's "Refresh All Subscriptions", without having to adjust MaxRefreshThreads. I can NOT run "Refresh Folder Images" to completion successfully, I have not investigated this but it seems likely its one of the unsubscribed but not deleted feeds.
Attachments
AnalyseViennaFeeds.txt
(7.19 KiB) Downloaded 267 times

Bonobo
Harmless

Postby Bonobo » Sat May 15, 2010 8:08 pm

jeff_johnson_dev wrote:[..] There's a hidden preference you can set in Terminal:

Thanks, this (seems to have) helped me, too, but I guess after just a few minutes it’s too early to be sure.

Would you please also tell the code to increase Vienna’s load count to max? For single integers I take it that I can just change to “-int [2..9]” or perhaps even 99 or more, but I guess there’s a command for maximum, too.

TIA, and greetings, and a big THANK YOU for Vienna!

Tom in Germany

jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby jeff_johnson_dev » Sat May 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Bonobo wrote:
jeff_johnson_dev wrote:[..] There's a hidden preference you can set in Terminal:

Thanks, this (seems to have) helped me, too, but I guess after just a few minutes it’s too early to be sure.

Would you please also tell the code to increase Vienna’s load count to max? For single integers I take it that I can just change to “-int [2..9]” or perhaps even 99 or more, but I guess there’s a command for maximum, too.

TIA, and greetings, and a big THANK YOU for Vienna!

Tom in Germany

For all practical purposes, there is no maximum. You can set it as high as you want. However, if you have N subscriptions, then setting it higher than N won't make a difference.

Return to “Vienna”