Binary Diff/Patch Files?

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
inflector
Muffin

Binary Diff/Patch Files?

Postby inflector » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:25 pm

I've just finished up the "Full Web-Page Feeds" feature which required changes in the InfoWindow.nib file. I want to make sure I generate the right kind of subversion diff file. What command should I use to generate a diff file that you can apply with patch? What patch command do you use to apply patches?

- Curtis

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Re: Binary Diff/Patch Files?

Postby Michael Ströck » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Curtis,

I think it's easiest just to send me code changes as a diff and the complete versions of the new binary files, all zipped up. Personally, I use a GUI (Cornerstone), so I never bother with SVN on the command line. Consequently, I'm not really fluent in SVN's more arcane incantations :-)

Best,
Michael

inflector
Muffin

Postby inflector » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:51 am

How do you like Cornerstone? Did you check out Versions when you bought it? I'm trying to figure out what the good tools for Mac development are.

- Curtis

AlanR
Frappa

Postby AlanR » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:01 am

inflector wrote:How do you like Cornerstone? Did you check out Versions when you bought it? I'm trying to figure out what the good tools for Mac development are.

- Curtis

I've been using Versions for about a year and I like it just fine but I've never tried Cornerstone.

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Postby Michael Ströck » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:45 am

inflector wrote:How do you like Cornerstone? Did you check out Versions when you bought it? I'm trying to figure out what the good tools for Mac development are.

- Curtis

It completely vanishes in my workflow. I cannot think of a single time when it has given me any problems whatsoever - I think that is the highest praise one can give concerning a development tool :-)

AlanR
Frappa

Postby AlanR » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:39 pm

I just downloaded and played a bit with Cornerstone. It's very similar to Versions but it does have a few extra useful features, the ability to examine / add subversion global properties, automatically add properties if one chooses to do so and direct comparison of image files (I haven't tried that yet but it's very interesting).

AlanR
Frappa

Postby AlanR » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:59 pm

The image compare feature is probably the most interesting to me. I can easily see the differences between newer and older images. I mostly do web development though and images are more important there.

inflector
Muffin

Postby inflector » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks Michael and Alan. I'll check it out. Sounds like a good tool.

I used TortoiseSVN on Windows along with Araxis Merge and was very happy with it. I hated Windows programming but the developer tools were pretty good. So glad to be working with a real framework again. With Cocoa, I just assume that something is there and then go look for it, and I find it, or something better than I was expecting. MFC on Windows was a complete piece of crap by comparison, and .NET was a real pig which I couldn't afford the performance hit as I was programming tools for trading stocks and commodities where the CPU performance was a bottleneck.

So nice to be programming again on a Mac.

- Curtis

Return to “Vienna”