Running 2.5.0 Trunk and 2.4 at the Same Time

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
inflector
Muffin

Running 2.5.0 Trunk and 2.4 at the Same Time

Postby inflector » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Hello,

I just downloaded and launched Vienna running off of the 2.5.0 trunk and I found that it uses the same user preferences information as the version I use as 2.4.2 as a USER. This is undoubtedly because they share the same application identifier "uk.co.opencommunity.vienna2". This means that any errors or problems will cause changes to my Vienna database that I might not want.

I'd prefer to develop on a different set of data, SQLite database etc. How do most developers handle this? Do you just change the application identifier for the development version using the Get Info dialog?

- Curtis

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Re: Running 2.5.0 Trunk and 2.4 at the Same Time

Postby Michael Ströck » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi Curtis,

As far as I'm concerned, that's intended. Personally, I never run a stable release version. I always run the latest build straight from SVN. I haven't damaged my database a single time in several years. I think Steve Palmer always just runs nightlies as well. That way, testing happens all the time. We run every version we release for dozens of hours in actual, real-life usage patterns. That's invaluable.

Also -and this is one of my pet peeves- your backup strategy should be able to handle that problem anyway. If you don't have one, database corruption is the least of your problems :-)

inflector
Muffin

Re: Running 2.5.0 Trunk and 2.4 at the Same Time

Postby inflector » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:54 am

Thanks Michael and Jeff,

That helps. I feel a little better working directly off of the trunk, but I'm going to check out Jeff's tool as well since there are some features/bugs that would benefit from special setups and use cases and repeatable starting points.

- Curtis

Return to “Vienna”