Any Good Bugs to Start?

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
inflector
Muffin

Any Good Bugs to Start?

Postby inflector » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:03 am

I'm planning on doing some Vienna development soon and want to start out by helping out where needed as I get a feel for the code base.

Any suggestions for some good bugs to start with? I'll be perusing the bugs database myself but I just wanted to see if there were any that you felt might be appropriate for someone who is new to the codebase.

I've been programming for 30 years, on Macs with frameworks since the late 1980s on and off, starting with MacApp for many years, wrote and sold Mac Development tools for a few years including the Pascal to C++ translator that most of the major Mac developers used to port their Object Pascal apps to C++ when the PowerPC came out, and a database engine called Inside Out; I left for the dark world of Windows programming during the hell years before Jobs returned to Apple; did some consulting managing some large Java web apps development, but I am just returning to Mac programming so I'm new to Cocoa and Objective C, but I've got plenty of experience with C and C++ and am familiar with the basic differences.

I'm good at hunting down problems that are difficult so I don't mind a challenge or two.

Fortunately, I'm also good at following other coding styles and paradigms as I'm used to working on projects with fair sized teams.

- Curtis

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Re: Any Good Bugs to Start?

Postby Michael Ströck » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:23 pm

Hello Curtis,

Thank you very much for your offer, contributions are always more than welcome! Cocoa and Objective-C have a certain weirdness and steep learning curve in the beginning, but once you get used to it, they're just great. Stick to it and you'll love it.Please feel free to ask any questions about the code-base or Cocoa/Obj-C. But please be aware that Cocoa/ObjC questions might be more appropriate on some mailing list or StackOverflow.com, simply because the audience is much larger.

-) One interesting bug that might be quite isolated in one or two classes is the following: Start a refresh, and delete a currently refreshing item while it's spinning progress indicator is still visible. The item will be gone, but its spinner is now a zombie. The same happens when you minimize a folder with items that have spinners visible. Having this fixed would be nice.

-) There seems to be a (KeyChain-related??) issue with Vienna rejecting or not correctly saving user data for protected Twitter feeds: http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21869&p=123961&hilit=twitter#p123961. It might be related to this: http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21839

I'll try to think of others. You are also welcome to start working on extensions or completely new features, but please discuss them here first so we can prevent duplication of effort.

Thanks,
Michael

inflector
Muffin

Postby inflector » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:51 am

Thanks, I'll check those out.

- Curtis

Cubytus
Harmless

Postby Cubytus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Vienna doesn't have bugs that make it impossible to work with.

Enhancements would be energy best spent, and there are tons of them to be made.
Don't ask for optimizations. Ever. It's counter-productive.

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Postby Michael Ströck » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:52 am

Cubytus wrote:Vienna doesn't have bugs that make it impossible to work with.

Enhancements would be energy best spent, and there are tons of them to be made.

That is true, we've squashed the big ones in 2.4 and now 2.5. Still, bugfixing is a good way to learn one's way around the project.

Cubytus
Harmless

Postby Cubytus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:37 am

Agreed.

Although new on Cocoa/Objective-C, he seems to know his way around and shouldn't have trouble catching the pace.
Don't ask for optimizations. Ever. It's counter-productive.

inflector
Muffin

Postby inflector » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much the reason I wanted to fix a few bugs to start out. I've got a few enhancements I'd like to add as soon as I feel comfortable. This will probably be in a few days time, perhaps a week. I'll be sure to discuss them here before doing them.

Just to be sure: There's no evaluation period or anything, you can start working on new features as soon you want :-) But we appreciate bugfixes very much - the one you just sent was one of my pet peeves.

inflector
Muffin

Postby inflector » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Michael Ströck wrote:-) There seems to be a (KeyChain-related??) issue with Vienna rejecting or not correctly saving user data for protected Twitter feeds: http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21869&p=123961&hilit=twitter#p123961. It might be related to this: http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21839

I checked into this a bit. First, there did seem to be a bug/unexpected behavior where the keychain for protected feeds like Twitter is checked twice sometimes. To duplicate, I added my Twitter account as a feed. Then I hit "Allow" NOT "Always Allow" when the KeyChain access dialog came up asking if I should allow Vienna access to the Twitter.com KeyChain entry. Most of the times it only checks once and subsequent refreshed of that item don't bring the dialog up again. A few times, I refreshed that one feed manually and it prompted the dialog again. It seems to do this every once in a while and not reliably.

The dialog is coming up with the following stack crawl:

#0 0x95dc58da in mach_msg_trap
#1 0x95dc6047 in mach_msg
#2 0x97f7a398 in ucsp_client_decrypt
#3 0x97f79eca in Security::SecurityServer::ClientSession::decrypt
#4 0x97f794a5 in SSCryptContext::outputSize
#5 0x97f79dab in Security::CSPFullPluginSession::CSPContext::final
#6 0x97f79c9a in cssm_DecryptDataFinal
#7 0x97f79b97 in CSSM_DecryptDataFinal
#8 0x97f79b2d in Security::CssmClient::Decrypt::final
#9 0x97f762eb in Security::CssmClient::SSGroupImpl::decodeDataBlob
#10 0x97f73b01 in Security::CssmClient::SSDbUniqueRecordImpl::get
#11 0x97f74d21 in Security::KeychainCore::ItemImpl::getContent
#12 0x9800b8cc in Security::KeychainCore::ItemImpl::getContent
#13 0x97fcea7f in SecKeychainItemCopyContent
#14 0x95a53c0f in SecItemGlue_Keychain::SecItemCopyMatching
#15 0x95a7d054 in URLCredentialInternetPassword::copyPassword
#16 0x95a6b2db in HTTPProtocol::_CFHTTPProtHasCredentialsForChallenge
#17 0x95a6b9f1 in HTTPProtocol::attemptAuthentication
#18 0x95a220e7 in HTTPProtocol::performHeaderRead
#19 0x95a21e32 in HTTPProtocol::httpReadStreamEvent
#20 0x901079a3 in _signalEventSync
#21 0x9010791a in _cfstream_shared_signalEventSync
#22 0x9007e8cb in __CFRunLoopDoSources0
#23 0x9007c38f in __CFRunLoopRun
#24 0x9007b864 in CFRunLoopRunSpecific
#25 0x9007b691 in CFRunLoopRunInMode
#26 0x93e5b430 in +[NSURLConnection(NSURLConnectionReallyInternal) _resourceLoadLoop:]
#27 0x93e228d8 in -[NSThread main]
#28 0x93e22888 in __NSThread__main__
#29 0x95df2fbd in _pthread_start
#30 0x95df2e42 in thread_start

My best guess is that the dialog is coming up when actual data comes back from the refresh and a decrypt needs to take place on the data coming back. But this is just a guess.

At any rate. Most people are going to press "Always Allow" when they have a secure feed as they'll need to allow Vienna access to the KeyChain to get the passwords. So I don't think this behavior, i.e. the occasional dialog coming up when you press "Allow" instead of "Always Allow" is a real problem we need to address.

I read over the description of the problem at:

Each time Vienna refreshes the Twitter subscription it prompts for my Twitter user name & password. My user name & password are being rejected. Just started happening today.

I can login to Twitter with the same user name & password.

I checked the Keychain entry for Twitter and the user name & password are correct.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Thank you,
Don

and

This is a bug. If the Twitter account being accessed to update the subscription, then Vienna prompts for a Twitter account's login user name password. I assume the prompt is asking for my user name and password, but I'm not positive about that. When the Twitter account associated with the subscription no longer exists, then an information message should display saying so instead of displaying a Twitter login dialog.

and I can't really tell what he's getting at. At first he seems to indicate that he can login to Twitter using the same user and password but then in his second reply he's "not positive about that" and refers to the case when "the Twitter account associated with the subscription no longer exists." This leads me to believe that the problem really was the latter, that somehow his twitter account changed or was deleted and he no longer had access to the feed, so he's really complaining about the fact that an error dialog did not come up saying that.

Is this a common problem?

In summary, I don't think there are any real problems with Twitter authentication credentials, or Vienna's handling of them. Twitter just happens to be a common case where one might actually use an authenticated feed as most feeds are by their very nature public and open.

I could investigate the error handling for deleted Twitter feeds but I think this is a far less common problem and there may be nothing we can do about it, i.e. Twitter may just be returning an authorization failed code when you try to access a feed that isn't valid. So I don't believe this is a very high-priority problem at the moment.

- Curtis

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Postby Michael Ströck » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:19 pm

I could investigate the error handling for deleted Twitter feeds but I think this is a far less common problem and there may be nothing we can do about it, i.e. Twitter may just be returning an authorization failed code when you try to access a feed that isn't valid. So I don't believe this is a very high-priority problem at the moment.

You are probably right, Curtis. Thanks for looking into it!

inflector
Muffin

Postby inflector » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:19 am

I should mention that I tested the "Deny" case and this works fine as well. When you deny keychain access, then the dialog comes up asking for the username and password for the feed. This is then placed into a keychain and then retrieved upon subsequent retrieval for the feed. You only have to fill in the username and password once.

- Curtis

Return to “Vienna”