Vienna always prompts for keychain access on startup

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
IntlOrange
Harmless

Vienna always prompts for keychain access on startup

Postby IntlOrange » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:27 pm

For months now, every time I run Vienna, the system prompts for for access to my keychain. There's really no reason for Vienna to have access to that, so I always click "Deny".

Is there a way to "always deny" or tell Vienna to stop asking? Thanks!

dcrosta
Muffin

Re: Vienna always prompts for keychain access on startup

Postby dcrosta » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Vienna stores username/password combinations in the Keychain for feeds that require authentication. What is probably happening (please correct me if I'm wrong about any of these speculations) is that Vienna is the first application set as a Login Item (see Accounts system prefpane) to request access to your Keychain, and is set to automatically refresh feeds when Vienna starts, and at least one of your feeds has a username and password set. There is no work-around to this, other than to remove the feed(s) with authentication data from Vienna.

I believe the Keychain is locked by default if you have automatic login set on your mac, and unlocked by default if you log in with a username and password when your mac starts up (or after you switch users).

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Postby Michael Ströck » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:24 pm

IntlOrange wrote:For months now, every time I run Vienna, the system prompts for for access to my keychain. There's really no reason for Vienna to have access to that, so I always click "Deny".

Is there a way to "always deny" or tell Vienna to stop asking? Thanks!

What dcrosta said. Obviously, there is a reason for Vienna to have access to it :-) Vienna only prompts if it needs a password from the keychain - are you subscribed to a feed that needs authorization?

IntlOrange
Harmless

Postby IntlOrange » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:03 am

Thanks! I should have mentioned that I don't remember ever subscribing to a feed that requires authentication. (I just reviewed all my feeds, and they are all public.)

Could I snoop through the prefs files somewhere and find which feed(s) may erroneously be flagged as needing authentication? (I tried this once, but couldn't find where that info is hiding.)

AlanR
Frappa

Postby AlanR » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:43 pm

IntlOrange wrote:Thanks! I should have mentioned that I don't remember ever subscribing to a feed that requires authentication. (I just reviewed all my feeds, and they are all public.)

Could I snoop through the prefs files somewhere and find which feed(s) may erroneously be flagged as needing authentication? (I tried this once, but couldn't find where that info is hiding.)

Did you by any chance subscribe to a gmail rss feed? That will do it.

IntlOrange
Harmless

Postby IntlOrange » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Nope, no Gmail.

I just went through one-by-one hitting "get info" on each feed, and none of them had any usernames/passwords in the "authentication" section. So I'm fairly certain I'm not subscribed to any password-access feeds.

Another option: What about "resetting" Vienna by trashing various preference files, etc., and then somehow re-importing my feed URLs. How can I do that?

sheepguy42
Harmless

Postby sheepguy42 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:53 pm

IntlOrange wrote:Thanks! I should have mentioned that I don't remember ever subscribing to a feed that requires authentication...

Vienna asks me for authentication twice every time I start it up, both for the same feed. How do I know? The authentication request message window tells me which feed. In my case it's Twitter. Maybe you're not getting the same dialogue as me, but the next time it asks you to access the keychain check if it specifies a feed.

IntlOrange
Harmless

Postby IntlOrange » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks, sheepguy. It's not specifying a feed name. This is what I see:
Attachments
iamge.png
Screenshot of keychain request dialog

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Postby Michael Ströck » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:57 am

I have to admit that I don't know what's going on, sorry.

Return to “Vienna”