Vienna2.4.0.2401 won't even load now

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
Jayisgames
Harmless

Vienna2.4.0.2401 won't even load now

Postby Jayisgames » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:28 pm

I recently upgraded to the new version hoping the persistent crashing of the previous version was fixed.

I'm running a 2nd generation Mac Pro (1,1) with 10GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.8, and the previous version of Vienna would crash frequently when updating my subscriptions, several times each day. The new version also crashed after initially installing it, but recovering hasn't been as quick and painless, unfortunately.

Now the app won't even load at all now.

Is there any way at all I can salvage all my subscription information? I have depended on Vienna to keep me current with the industry I'm in.

stevepa
Vienna Team

Re: Vienna2.4.0.2401 won't even load now

Postby stevepa » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:53 am

First off, did you upgrade Vienna from within Vienna? If so, please try downloading Vienna again. We've had problems with SourceForge returning a truncated version of the application during the upgrade which caused it to crash when starting.

Go to http://www.vienna-rss.org/ and download again from there, and replace the version in your Applications folder with that one. Let us know if that fixed it.

Thanks!

sparker
Muffin

Postby sparker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:17 am

I had the same problem (the auto-updater corrupted the app). I re-downloaded as indicated, and I'm working again. Hopefully the problem with the auto-updater will be resolved quickly....

Steve
Steve P
Somewhere in Colorado

Jayisgames
Harmless

Postby Jayisgames » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:46 am

Unfortunately, no, that doesn't help at all. The freshly downloaded app immediately crashes on boot.

And I didn't use the auto-updater initially. When I tried, I received an error, so I went directly to the site instead and grabbed it as soon as Vienna told me a new version was available.

I'll try restoring my files from a Time Machine backup, and try the upgrade again some other time.

alligator
Harmless

Postby alligator » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:03 am

Mine is doing the same thing. I have a mac with os 10.5.8 on it. I tried re-downloading from the site but there was no change. Hoping for a fix soon!

suavenyc72
Harmless

Postby suavenyc72 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:32 pm

To whom it may concern...I was recently having the same issues with vienna not loading at all and was going crazy..on start i would quickly see an option pop up to upgrade database but I couldnt get to select that option.I reinstalled to no availover and over again.I realized I had recently removed all language files but english and thought that was the problem.it wasnt.
So I kept starting and quiting trying to move fast enough to catch that upgrade data base option and finally I hit it and voila it all just showed up again.
I dont know why it even happened to begin with but my advise to all of you is to upgrade the data base for vienna, I didnt know how so i spent about 45 min trying to click on the option which for some odd reason would show up fpr only a blink of an eye on vienna start up.weird I know.
but thats what did it for me.Good luck guy's.
and to the Vienna developers,I hope you read this cause we should not be playing cat and mouse with an vienna option window to upgrade its data base the way I had to.But I did cause I Love Vienna and it's my dedicated RSS reader..Thankyou for a great app.
RLS^

Return to “Vienna”