Displaying the enclosure as a link

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Displaying the enclosure as a link

Postby boredzo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:46 am

I've modified the standard enclosure view to use a DSClickableURLTextField to present the enclosure as a clickable link.

Two questions:

1. DSClickableURLTextField's license is “May be used freely, but keep my name/copyright in the header.” Is this OK for inclusion in Vienna?
  2. While the link is clickable, it is not draggable and right-clicking it does not produce a menu. Should I submit the Vienna patch as it is, then make the necessary changes upstream, wait for them to be accepted there, and submit a second Vienna patch; or make the necessary changes upstream now, then submit only one patch to Vienna?

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Re: Displaying the enclosure as a link

Postby Michael Ströck » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:23 am

Hi boredzo,

Thanks for your contribution! The easiest way is probably to send the patch now to the Vienna Patches mailing list. Please CC: it to michael@stroeck.com, as I've had problems with GMails spam-filter and SourceForge lists recently. - I'll have a look at it and then we discuss how to go along with this!

Cheers,
Michael

jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby jeff_johnson_dev » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Peter, if you'd like to do continuing work on Vienna, we can talk about commit privileges. I think you can be trusted. Want to be the king of all mac open source? ;)

On a different topic, since you're a Cocoaforge admin, could you please look at some weird RSS feed behavior?
Thanks!

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:50 pm

jeff_johnson_dev wrote:Peter, if you'd like to do continuing work on Vienna, we can talk about commit privileges. I think you can be trusted. Want to be the king of all mac open source? ;)

I don't think I'll do continuing work, for lack of time.

On a different topic, since you're a Cocoaforge admin, could you please look at some weird RSS feed behavior?

Now it's only your reply. It looks like the feed shows only the last post from each thread. This may be by design—good for new subscribers to catch up on more most-recent threads at once (and for a single busy thread to not clog up the feed).

Michael's

(now your)

… post in the Vienna Developers forum appears in the feed for the Vienna forum, which we don't want, because non-developer users subscribe to it for support:
http://forums.cocoaforge.com/rss.php?f=18

That's… weird. There's nothing special about this thread that I can see—it's not global. The only factor I can think of is that it's because I'm an admin—but why should that matter?

I'll show this thread to Zac.

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:40 am

boredzo wrote:
  1. DSClickableURLTextField's license is “May be used freely, but keep my name/copyright in the header.” Is this OK for inclusion in Vienna?
  2. While the link is clickable, it is not draggable and right-clicking it does not produce a menu. Should I submit the Vienna patch as it is, then make the necessary changes upstream, wait for them to be accepted there, and submit a second Vienna patch; or make the necessary changes upstream now, then submit only one patch to Vienna?

I've since gotten right-clicking working (without modifying DSClickableURLTextField), but otherwise, both questions stand.

jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby jeff_johnson_dev » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:53 pm

boredzo wrote:
boredzo wrote:

I've since gotten right-clicking working (without modifying DSClickableURLTextField), but otherwise, both questions stand.

1. That's fine with me.
  2. I believe Michael was suggesting to submit the patch as is. (As a note, we'll probably be releasing a public beta of Vienna 2.4 soon.)

jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby jeff_johnson_dev » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:56 pm

jeff_johnson_dev wrote:(As a note, we'll probably be releasing a public beta of Vienna 2.4 soon.)

By the way, hopefully you're working from the 2.4 branch. That's what we're working from nowadays.

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:25 pm

jeff_johnson_dev wrote:By the way, hopefully you're working from the 2.4 branch.

Nope. I checked out trunk and got 2.3. I'll see about finding 2.4 and rebasing it onto that.

dcrosta
Muffin

Postby dcrosta » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:25 pm

"rebase" implies you're using git-svn, yeah?

I have a git-svn copy of the vienna repository at github: http://github.com/dcrosta/vienna-rss

I have some work on master to support synchronization among multiple computers (master is a modified version of 2.3/trunk), and a clean copy of 2.4 as "upstream"

Hope this helps.

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:20 pm

dcrosta wrote:"rebase" implies you're using git-svn, yeah?

Nope. It's bad enough using Subversion, which is merely primitive (such that the rebase in question would be fully manual); I'm not going to use a VCS that actively hates me. ☺

Hope this helps.

It doesn't help me, but it may help somebody, so thanks nonetheless.

Michael Ströck
Vienna Team

Postby Michael Ströck » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:49 pm

Bordezo - I believe it shouldn't matter which version you're working on, as that change should not require anyting except the new class and some changes in the class for the enclosure view, wich hasn't changed. Please just submit it and I'm sure we'll be able to work it out. As Jeff said, 2.4 is nigh, so let's see if we can get it in :-)

AlanR
Frappa

Postby AlanR » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:47 pm

This fix is now in Vienna Sneak Peek (Version 2.5.0.2500.1503). I'll upload copies shortly.

Return to “Vienna”