laundry list of feature requests

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
cheechi
Muffin

laundry list of feature requests

Postby cheechi » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:55 am

First of all, let me say I like Vienna, how it looks, works, and its potential. A lot of the things I am going to suggest are mainly options to help Vienna do what it does better.

What I would like to do is set up several feeds that have similar news, put them in a folder, and then I can browse the folder (not expanded) to read all their news together. This works in Vienna, and with relatively little issues. I would like the smart folders to behave the same way.

Smart folders can be very much smarter. I would like when I set up a smart folder, the article is not simply duplicated, from the original feed. Wouldn't it be smarter to move the article to the smart folder? I think it would and I would like to have this as an option, even if you don't think it should be the default behavior.

Secondly I would like to be able to put all of my smart folders into a containing folder, be able to either read or 'mark all as read' from that folder instead of having to hit each smart folder to do this. This is not very smart. In general, I want to have smart folders behave like a feed. I also have to select each smart folder to 'mark all as read' meaning I have to left click, then right click to do it. Why can't I do this in one step? It seems to work most of the time with regular feeds.

Finally it would be helpful if, after setting up the rules for each smart folder, I would like an 'and then' rule set. So if I want to, for example take all the articles about iphones, put them in a smart folder (which would remove them from my news), mark them as read, and then have the option to delete it should I set that up. Nothing against iphones, just that there were a lot of stories this week about iphones so it's fresh in my mind.

If you're thinking this sounds a lot like mail filters, spam rules, etc. you're right. My mail reader was where I first started using RSS and I'm used to having the flexibility of complex rules. That is what I think will set Vienna apart from other RSS feeds, because as of now none of them that I have tried support anything similar. I think Vienna is more stable and has better potential than NNW, that's why I'm suggesting it to you and not in their forums (which appear to be mostly complaints about stability).

w31rd0
Harmless

Re: laundry list of feature requests

Postby w31rd0 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:32 pm

cheechi wrote:Finally it would be helpful if, after setting up the rules for each smart folder, I would like an 'and then' rule set. So if I want to, for example take all the articles about iphones, put them in a smart folder (which would remove them from my news), mark them as read, and then have the option to delete it should I set that up. Nothing against iphones, just that there were a lot of stories this week about iphones so it's fresh in my mind.

I would second that. I'm sick and tired of semi-automatically skipping articles I'm not interested in, and in most cases I can figure it out from the article's title.

But I think this feature should be more graceful, not overloading smart folders too much. Maybe just a checkbox 'Automatically Mark Read'. Being marked as read those articles do not annoy you any more, and the problem is solved.

AlanR
Frappa

Postby AlanR » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:29 pm

I'd like to see an option to export flagged articles to a new database or append them to an existing one.

Further it would be great if I could choose the database I'd like to use from within Vienna. I know I can read a new “flagged articles” db by renaming the databases so this feature is not essential.

My purpose is to save flagged articles outside the main database.

I've also noticed that my copy of Vienna is no longer honoring the “Move articles to trash after X time” preference setting. I'm not sure what's wrong but that's the reason I want to preserve flagged articles, I had to spend some time removing older articles while not deleting flagged ones.

w31rd0
Harmless

Postby w31rd0 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:45 pm

@AlanR
So all this choose database stuff is a workaround for the broken "Move articles to trash after ..." feature? I don't know why auto-deletion doesn't work in your copy, but there is a simpler way to delete all but marked articles. Create a smart folder with the following conditions:
    Flagged is No
    Date is before Last Week
Deleting articles from that smart folder will delete all unmarked articles older than one week.

AlanR
Frappa

Postby AlanR » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:15 pm

w31rd0 wrote:@AlanR
So all this choose database stuff is a workaround for the broken "Move articles to trash after ..." feature?

Not really, I've wanted a way to archive important stuff for quite a while. I find that flags on RSS posts are better than browser bookmarks for me in many cases. They're more or less inherently organized.

Return to “Vienna”