Horrendous dupes - what's going on here?

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
User avatar
ShadowBottle
Muffin
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Horrendous dupes - what's going on here?

Postby ShadowBottle » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:17 pm

After hunting through the list here I see that Vienna is, in fact, supposed to recognize GUIDs - however I'm getting a HUGE number of duplicates from this list:
http://arstechnica.com/site/rss-feeds.ars

Here:
Image

I've spoken with the devs and even tried exporting my feeds to NNW (ugh) and NNW is able to filter out the duplicates and the devs say that each article has its GUID.
So why is Vienna failing with these feeds?
Thanks in advance!

jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Horrendous dupes - what's going on here?

Postby jeff_johnson_dev » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:06 am

The duplicates are articles in different feeds. For example, in your screenshot the 3 articles with the title "Confirmed: 2.2.1 iPhone APIs remain unchanged" come from the 3 feeds Ars Technica - Guides, Ars Technica - News, and Infinite Loop. In Vienna, you're looking at a folder "Ars Related" that contains all of those feeds, so you see all of the articles from those feeds. If I subscribe to those feeds in NetNewsWire and select them all, I also see the duplicate articles.

robsa
Harmless
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:21 pm

Re: Horrendous dupes - what's going on here?

Postby robsa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:14 pm

You're aware that Ars has changed it's feed address? The current address for the main page is http://feeds.arstechnica.com/arstechnic ... format=xml.
The one you're using completely quit working for me when they switched over to the new look.

User avatar
ShadowBottle
Muffin
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Re: Horrendous dupes - what's going on here?

Postby ShadowBottle » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:33 pm

robsa wrote:You're aware that Ars has changed it's feed address? The current address for the main page is http://feeds.arstechnica.com/arstechnic ... format=xml.
The one you're using completely quit working for me when they switched over to the new look.


The screenshot is from the 30th, the feed that died did so on the 27th - thus the feeds saying "Today". I'm using all the new feeds.

User avatar
ShadowBottle
Muffin
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Re: Horrendous dupes - what's going on here?

Postby ShadowBottle » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:34 pm

jeff_johnson_dev wrote:The duplicates are articles in different feeds. For example, in your screenshot the 3 articles with the title "Confirmed: 2.2.1 iPhone APIs remain unchanged" come from the 3 feeds Ars Technica - Guides, Ars Technica - News, and Infinite Loop. In Vienna, you're looking at a folder "Ars Related" that contains all of those feeds, so you see all of the articles from those feeds. If I subscribe to those feeds in NetNewsWire and select them all, I also see the duplicate articles.


I had assumed that if the domain and guids were the same that a client would register them as duplicates and filter them out.

jeff_johnson_dev
Cocoaforge Admin
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Horrendous dupes - what's going on here?

Postby jeff_johnson_dev » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:04 pm

ShadowBottle wrote:
jeff_johnson_dev wrote:The duplicates are articles in different feeds. For example, in your screenshot the 3 articles with the title "Confirmed: 2.2.1 iPhone APIs remain unchanged" come from the 3 feeds Ars Technica - Guides, Ars Technica - News, and Infinite Loop. In Vienna, you're looking at a folder "Ars Related" that contains all of those feeds, so you see all of the articles from those feeds. If I subscribe to those feeds in NetNewsWire and select them all, I also see the duplicate articles.


I had assumed that if the domain and guids were the same that a client would register them as duplicates and filter them out.

The use of guids for items in different feeds is somewhat problematic. Unfortunately, the RSS and Atom formats don't discuss this in depth, so there's no hard rule. Anyway, what happens if the items have different publication dates in the different feeds. Should RSS readers treat them as updates? What if one of the items is updated in one of the feeds? And which feed should the item be displayed in? If you load the feeds individually, would the item only display in one feed (which one?) or in both? What if you delete the item in one of the feeds? What if you delete one of the feeds?

patriciht8
Harmless
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:59 am
Location: Tulsa, OK, United States
Contact:

Re: Horrendous dupes - what's going on here?

Postby patriciht8 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:07 am

robsa wrote:You're aware that Ars has changed it's feed address? The current address for the main page is http://feeds.arstechnica.com/arstechnic ... format=xml.
The one you're using completely quit working for me when they switched over to the new look.


Hi,

I was having the same issue. Did not know the fix is so simple. Thanks for pointing it out! :)

Caroline12
Harmless
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:27 am

Re: Horrendous dupes - what's going on here?

Postby Caroline12 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:51 pm

I wasn't aware that changing a feed could cause that duplicate! Well you learn something new everyday lol. Has this happened again recently? Just for future reference really as it would be good if they could let us know about these unusual feeds lol.


Return to “Vienna”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]